Rega RP8 or Technics SL1200G

I'm a bit reluctant to post this "either or question" because I know that everything in this hobby is subjective, but here goes.

I currently have a Rega RP3-24 with an Exact 2 and I want to upgrade to my final turntable. I have read all the reviews that are available on both tables and both received stellar reviews, although Fremer stated that his RP8 sample table ran a little fast. I like the simplicity of the RP8 ($3000), however, I also like the adjustability of the SL1200G ($4000) which eases the task of trying different cartridges, although I don't plan on swapping out cartridges very often. On the other hand, I am not adverse to using spacers to adjust VTA on the Rega so I can try  non Rega cartridges. 

So it really comes down to which table sounds better, which is built better, etc. I would like to hear from anyone who owns or has heard either of these tables. I won't have the opportunity to audition either one.

I listen to rock, jazz and some classical.

The rest of my system is:
Cayin A-88T MKII Integrated with Gold Lion KT88's or Svetlana Winged C EL34  
PS Audio GCPH w/Underwood Mod (planning to upgrade to Parasound JC3+)
Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary
Rega Apollo-R
Accuphase T101
Cables: Morrow PH4 to phone preamp 

Thanks in advance.
Eric

ericsch

Showing 8 responses by avanti1960

@lancelock 
did you run the ART9 on the scout?
if so it would be interesting to hear how the sound changed mounted to the Technics.  thanks.
congrats @jsm71  !   I will be very interested to hear how the ART9 and Delos compare as I own the '9 and am considering the Lyra.  
-
i'm in a similar position with turntables and am considering the G, the RP8 and the VPI prime.  At the moment my main goal of the upgrade is to have a faster, more explosive / dynamic presentation. A reliable source tells me the RP 8 wins in this area.   anyone agree / disagree?  thanks   
after an extensive listen to the new P6, no way in the world would I consider the RP8 vs. the 1200 G.  
I believe the RP8 and P6 share the same subplatter, motor, belt and TT-PSU, correct?  
If so, the RP8 will not have the speed stability / freedom from flutter that the 1200G will have.  
I witnessed occasional but noiticeable speed variation and flutter on the P6.  
while i'm sure the G is an amazing table, has anyone actually heard the RP-8 / Apheta 2? 

One source tells me that the speed, transient response and attack is superior to the G.  This is something that would make me lean to the Rega if true.  
I just ordered a GR and am looking into the details of alignment and it's ludicrous that Technics does not supply a decent protractor.  relying on the gauge and the cartridge body being parallel is not doing this table justice.  
FYI i have heard trustworthy opinions that  even the GR sounds better than the RP8.