Refurbished / Re-tipped Cartridges - Are they worth Buying?

My thoughts around rebuilt carts, do they convey the same characteristics as the original designer envisioned and intended . Even with full restoration like new cantilever, stylus and suspension repair etc; much of the original design attributes are gone and you are now listening to the works of an individual who have pride themselves as rebuilt wizard.  

No disrespect intended for the folks in rebuilding business as I honestly believe they are incredibly talented to rebuild such a fine instrument. 

What are your thoughts, would you buy a completely rebuilt cart vs a slightly used cartridge….after all you’re mostly paying for brand pedigree, its signature sound and exotic materials to make such a fine product. 

128x128lalitk

Inagroove, if you saw glue covering the stylus tip, then there’s no doubt you’re correct, and you were justified if you sent the cartridge back for a re-retip. My Grace Ruby was retipped with sapphire/OCL by SS, and it has a disconcertingly large gob of epoxy holding stylus to cantilever. However it sounds great. (MD here with 40 years as a virologist at NIH. I’ve got an Olympus scope to look at styli.)

@lewm 

Virologist and Audiophile….that’s a deadly combination :-) Jokes apart, nothing but respect for everything you do from diagnosis to prevention. 

Interesting topic -Rebuilt vs "mildly" used.  Rebuilt IF, you know the rebuilder is experienced and skilled in this delicate craft and has proven results such as customer reviews.  Industry recognition would also be a plus.  If rebuilder is local to you, it might be prudent to visit the shop and check out their work.  In a perfect word they may even have a TT or two set up to hear the quality of the rebuilds that you are considering.  If not local does rebuilder have an active website so customers can communicate with them.  As for used if there is a source that you trust, such as audiophile forums, Audio dealers, etc. that might be an option.  In either case Happy Hunting.  Ps;  there are some quality new cartridges available at affordable prices if you shop around 

Dear @vetsc5  : Rebuilt/refurbished vs re-tipper. Here some of us couls have a little confusion because both terms are different.

Rebuild means: carrridge re-coil, new suspension , new cantilever/stylus  and some time even output pin connectors when normally re-tipper means cantilever + stylus.

Forme no matter what rebuild/refurbished is forbiden in a cartridge and cartridge second hand re-tipped too.

That is different when the re-tip is made to a cartridge I own and that I know perfetly his quality level performance.

@inagroove  that's exactly my first hand multiple experiences with.

@viridian  , agree with you. Normally I ask to the re-tipper to change only the stylus and the cantilever when it's totally necessary.

R.

I've used Soundsmith several times and always been thrilled with the results. If you have one of their cartridges retipping is very affordable at about 20% the cartridge price.

I usually buy gently used and get a cartridge I couldn't normally afford.