Recommendation for Improvement over McCormack DNA-225

I currently have a McCormack DNA 225 mated with a VTL 2.5 and Line Magnetic 502 DAC powering my Salk Veracity HT3's. I think it sounds really nice but can definitely have some top end harshness, especially at the volumes I like to listen to.  I consider the Salk's are fairly power hungry in the low end (as confirmed with Jim Salk), can anyone recommend a SS amp with as much grunt as the McCormack in the range of 2K plus or minus.  Sure I would like a Pass or Ayre, but those are way above my price bracket.    I've tried Bel Canto Ref1000 mono's and Van Alstine.  The DNA had a better mid range presentation and better bottom end than both, no comparison.  Any other recommendations shy of the DNA 500, which again is over my price range.
128x128dwolek
Dwolek;

Dwilek; what at does that stand for?
where you at?

anyway, I second the power upgrades & forgot to mention it

VH Audio has some good stuff and good prices

I thought the outlet & power cable stuff was all " hooey" to......( engineer by trade)
bit it really does change stuff( almost like a new component)
i did the Furtech outlets and power distribution for $500 or so and it helped a boat load on the highs
( who would think outlet coating and wire would change the high end delicacy that much?)
it just cannot be!!!!

I would start on power as 1st choice, cheaper and easy

2nd, IC for amp to preamp was $300 or so & worked on delicacy and soundstage
allbthe other cables get real pricy

I tried the cableco on low cost stuff, naw
the cheaper stuff really doesn't do much

Kimber Hero is good, Best selling item for Kimber ( I hear)

see my comments on system

Frozen

Actually I would recommend that everyone try a different outlet.  I've tried a few of the more affordable.  You can hear improvements in a $40 to $200 outlet,  So I don't call them snake oil....I also have power conditioning on my preamp and Dac, made a nice improvement.  For me,  My amps have sounded best plugged directly into the outlet.  I have also modified gear and have had terrific changes... If you are going to keep this amp for several years, that isn't a bad option IF you are convinced that this will give you the improvement that you seek.... My experience is that when you go to sell a piece of modded equipment, others just aren't willing to pay for the mods and you end up losing that money. 

If he buys a Pass or Coda.... or whatever on a decent used price,  dwolek won't risk losing much money, you can normally resell for about what you pay and the resale of the McCormack will help recoup a lot of what he pays for the purchase of the new amp.

I hope this all makes sense.  Tim

I recently worked with SMC to upgrade the fuses in my .5 signature mono's.  My goal was to enhance the midrange, which was achieved.  I also got a reduction in top end harshness.  I was quite surprised at the difference between the high end fuses vs stock.  They are not cheap so this is a clear example of getting what you pay for.  SMC will give you guidance on the make and spec for your McCormack amp.  Now that I've experienced the difference, it would be the first thing I would do, followed by modifications.  

@dwolek  Agree with audio717.  

The McCormack basic amp is a solid well laid out design.  Steve McCormack is easy to talk to.  If you call him and explain your sonic goals for your current amp I am confident he can come up with a reasonable course of action for a modification rather than selling your  current amp at a loss and buying a whole new piece of gear.

If for whatever reason you just want a new amp then this line of advice won't help.  I wish you the best in making what can be a challenging decision.
+1 hifiman.
I own the McC DNA-1, upgraded to Gold special this past spring. It is a pretty smooth amp. When I contacted SmC, they were very attentive and wanted to give me what I wanted for the price I wanted to spend.
Please do give them a call and discuss your needs and possible moves, they won't try to sell you on anything you don't want, and will help you in making your decisions. 
BTW- I dealt with Patrick- a super guy.