Recommendation for Improvement over McCormack DNA-225

I currently have a McCormack DNA 225 mated with a VTL 2.5 and Line Magnetic 502 DAC powering my Salk Veracity HT3's. I think it sounds really nice but can definitely have some top end harshness, especially at the volumes I like to listen to.  I consider the Salk's are fairly power hungry in the low end (as confirmed with Jim Salk), can anyone recommend a SS amp with as much grunt as the McCormack in the range of 2K plus or minus.  Sure I would like a Pass or Ayre, but those are way above my price bracket.    I've tried Bel Canto Ref1000 mono's and Van Alstine.  The DNA had a better mid range presentation and better bottom end than both, no comparison.  Any other recommendations shy of the DNA 500, which again is over my price range.
128x128dwolek

Showing 2 responses by frozentundra

Dwolek;

Your fighting the same thing I've been working on; Harshness in highs

I've done a bunch that helped: incrementally
Here is some of my travails!

A couple questions:
1) what sources are you listening to?
     Cd's? Or Ripped ones?
     I've found a lot of CD' s just plain nasty
     Try Tidal and compare?    Big difference in quality of recordings; especially 80-90's stuff
   (really eye opening).
2) cables DO make a good difference in the highs/hash.  ( I always though it was Hooey) Higher level ones were really noticeable
3) just converted from class d amp to pass labs xa series;  big change but crappy source still comes thru, but lots, lots better
4) if you have a parametric eq Like amarra
     Knock down 3-5?db at the cross over frequency with a high q filter and it keeps the tone right but helps with the digital brightness

you have a tough problem to track down, if your hearing is showing you brightness on raal drivers

good luck, you'll need it

Frozen.  

Dwolek;

Dwilek; what at does that stand for?
where you at?

anyway, I second the power upgrades & forgot to mention it

VH Audio has some good stuff and good prices

I thought the outlet & power cable stuff was all " hooey" to......( engineer by trade)
bit it really does change stuff( almost like a new component)
i did the Furtech outlets and power distribution for $500 or so and it helped a boat load on the highs
( who would think outlet coating and wire would change the high end delicacy that much?)
it just cannot be!!!!

I would start on power as 1st choice, cheaper and easy

2nd, IC for amp to preamp was $300 or so & worked on delicacy and soundstage
allbthe other cables get real pricy

I tried the cableco on low cost stuff, naw
the cheaper stuff really doesn't do much

Kimber Hero is good, Best selling item for Kimber ( I hear)

see my comments on system

Frozen