Re: streaming recommendations for newbie

Hi,

I'd like to finally enter the streaming world with my hifi system and am looking for recommendations.  I have streaming music in my car and on my computer, but I can't currently access any streaming services on my hifi system because I have tube gear and neither it nor my old backup gear have streaming capacity or a DAC (other than the CD player).  

I guess that I need to buy both a streamer and a DAC?  I now have a pretty decent hifi system, but I want start out with modest priced streaming gear.    

Can anyone recommend a streamer & DAC, or unit that does both?  Does it make sense to put more $$ in a DAC or in a steamer?  Not sure about budget, but I'm thinking $500-1000 used for both as a starting point. Thank you.

Terry

tlh28

@danmar123 First, your AVR should not be involved in the signal path at all for critical 2-channel listening, and there are easy ways around that depending on what’s in your 2-channel setup.. Second, if you’re interested in streaming and better sound quality ditch the Bluetooth and subscribe to Qobuz or Tidal, and you’ll also want a separate streamer that will likewise up your streaming performance significantly. Depending on how good the DAC is in the Oppo you may also want to add a separate/better DAC. All of these things are important and if addressed will give you much higher-level streaming performance and enjoyment and just depends on how far you want to go with this. Hope this helps.

Thanks all.  Much to consider.  I'll update when I reach a decision but feel free to continue to leave suggestions.

To throw out another consideration: My CD player is a Simaudio 340D.  One reason I considered a separate DAC is to use it as an external DAC for the CD player as well.  But I don't really know just how good the internal DAC is in the Simaudio or what would be a good upgrade.  I suspect the Simaudio would pretty decent used just as a transport but again I don't know for sure as I haven't kept up with such things in quite some time.

@soix , thanks for your help. I’m going to try to eliminate the Onkyo & see if my phone & the Oppo shake hands. The output of the Oppo is connected to my tube pre & then to my LaScala's via, Prima Luna HP.

To be continued.

Few mention the innuos puls mini .

Way better interface than eversolo..sound quality about the same 

Node have a  really nice interface but lacking sq compared to innuos. 

Wiim don't play in the same league as mentioned above. 

This is from my own experience , still have the innuos got rid off the others. 

@elliottbnewcombjr I have a purple and gold synergistic research, carbon tuning disks that I suppose you could win as a booby prize for being right.

Otherwise, like I said, the OP seems to have some really nice equipment and a quality streamer is only going to lend itself to the synergy of their system.