Prioritizing Power Cable Upgrades by System Component.

I'm digging into the world of power cables and it is kind of amazing. The promise that a good cable can bring along with its price is both exciting and staggering.

There are several components that need some kind of power cable and upgrading them, for me, needs to be done in steps.

For those that have upgraded power cables, how would you prioritize between the pre-amp (tube), power amp (ss) and powered sub...and possibly even the DAC? 

128x128imaninatural

@imaninatural  Yes power amp first.  Then I would make sure all my other cords are at least 14 gauge.  A name brand (Tripp lite) 14 ga power cord on Amazon is $11.  So in my system the DAC is the most important component sound wise.   My system generally only had 3 components in the signal path and one is digital so dont really affected by power cord:  streamer, DAC, integrated amp.  So on both my amp and DAC I have a nice power cord with good copper wire and good conductors.  I"m planning to make a new cord soon with braided 10 awg quality wire braided  and shielded. The shield is more to protect the signal cables in the vicinity.  But I'm saying this knowing that others strongly disagree with me.  Listen to both halves of the discussion. 

I really don't know what kind of power supply is in a turntable now so someone else will hae to discuss that. 

Oh yeah--powered speakers.  Give them a 10 awg power cord too.  Especially subwoofers.  they need lots of power.

Jerry

There is so much more to power cables than just the gauge of the wire. Carlsbad, you are so far off, your reply was foolish. 1st, the owner needs to check with the component manufacturer to see what the minimum amp rating is required before any assumptions. 14ga for an amp but 10ga for a speaker? You don’t know what you are talking about. I know of amps that require 20 amp cables and 14ga isn’t going to work. I also know many speaker and subwoofer companies that use smaller than 10ga wire for their power cords. My cable to my power amp is rated for 30 amps.

There is much more to wire than just the gauge: copper/silver, multi strand/solid, shielded/not, sheathing used, and especially termination connectors.

After doing my own testing over 15 years ago, every component in my audio systems has an after market power cable. I have a few thousand dollars worth of a couple cables in a box (due to changing of equipment) just in case I buy a new audio component.

I try to keep my system simple. 

Star configuration outlet for All your electronic, and this is Best direct from the wall if possible. 

Start with your power distributør if you not have wall outlet star configuration. Your outlet distributor should then be a star configuration. 

Then Source, i have a cd transport and a DAC. The DAC is the most importent of the TWO but Source first. 

My integrated amp next. If i have had pre+amp combo, then the pre first and amp. second. 

Then my speakers (Quad)

This is my experience. 

Source first, if you have preamp and amp components consider the preamp as a source. 

@imaninatural 

In my opinion the answer is - it depends. 
A power cord upgrade on DAC can make just as significant improvement as the right power cord would on the amplifier.
If your system is able to resolve the differences a power cord upgrades make I’d say DAC, pre-amp or amp…doesn’t really matter where you start however the subwoofer would be last on the list. 

Also, keep in mind that there are power cables that work better on DACs than they do on pre-amps or amps and vice versa. 

Just my $0.02.