Preamp power supply capacitor upgrade

I recently purchased a used Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme 1.3 preamplifier. Although it sounds excellent, I’m on a quest to get it to sound as close to the Backert Labs Rhythm as I can on the cheap. I’ve already sent it back for the 1.4 circuit upgrade and I upgraded the coupling caps to V-Cap ODAM’s. I’ve also upgraded the tubes to Amperex 7316’s from several recommendations here. For reference, my amplifier is Coincident Frankenstein 300B MkII and speakers are Reference 3A Reflectors.

The Rhythm power supply uses four 0.33uf V-Cap CuTF caps which gets rather costly at $218 each. However, the TFTF caps are discounted at $104 each.

My question is, since these would be used in the power supply, would the price differential justify going with the CuTF vs the TFTF?

Ag insider logo xs@2xyowser

@yowser Your goal here is, I assume, to improve performance.

To that end, by bypassing the power supply, what you want is uniform output impedance of the power supply at all frequencies. So the correct dielectric may not be the one that is also the most expensive!

I'd stay away from oil and paper parts as they have a way of developing electrical leakage and may also leak physically. We stored a bag of such parts for about 10 years and upon retrieval, found that the bag smelled of oil. So for reliability I would not use such parts if DC voltages are involved.

@yowser I used thr Audyn True Copper Max caps in a recent phono stage build. The enameled leads were cumbersome, but they sound fantastic. My impression of them is they're a little more present and less euphonic than Miflex but still that big soundstage and smooth copper foil sound. Very nice caps. 😁 They're not small caps though so make sure you have some space.

-Lloyd

If you go 'on the cheap' now, you will always be questioning whether you should have bought the better capacitors. Audiophilia is all about seeking that elusive 'Perfection' - usually at any cost! If you don't upgrade now, you probably will further down the road. Go for it...

I'd reach out to Chris VenHaus at VH Audio (supplier for V-Caps), he's busy but very helpful when he gets back to you....I'd get his input here if it were me.

Also I believe his prices are lower than what you mentioned, and he offers a 20% quantity discount 

@atmasphere Yes, I was somewhat concerned about leakage over time but wasn't sure if it was a legitimate concern.  So, I guess that would point toward the V-Caps or Audyns as being more appropriate in the power supply.  I must say that I'm leaning towards the V-Caps as that's what Backert Labs had chosen for their Rhythm.  I understand what you previously said about the cost difference between the CuTF and TFTF being irrelevant (although $450 difference when using four is somewhat relevant to me), I just wasn't sure there would be a noticeable sonic difference when used in the power supply.