Physically Comfortable Headphones

I anticipate that in the near future, I will have a greater dependance on headphone listening. I have a separate listening room at this time, and do not have to worry about affecting others as I listen, even into the night. But if/when we downsize, I am almost certain to not have this luxury again. 

I like headphones. But they never seem to like me. I can't find one that I don't want to rip off my head within a half-hour. My head is probably a bit bigger sized than average, but not outrageous. My temples, the source (or at least, location) for my frequent headaches, are sensitive to pressure. My ears get really hot really quickly.

I have owned Grado G1000's, Audeze LCD-2's, Meze 99's, Sennheiser 650's, Stax SR 80's, and the most comfortable of them all, the Audio Technica Air ATH AD700's. And while the AT 700's are the most physically comfortable, the sound is too thin, and not good enough for front line music listening. 

Does anyone know of headphones that fit slightly larger headed people? That have a lower "clamp-force" around the temples? I favor a fuller sound, with good bass, like my Audeze LCD-2's (pre-fazor). My budget is probably around $1500 or less.

Thanks for any suggestions...

David 

dtorc

While I have not heard the Arya Organics,I can attest to the superb comfort & light weight of the design they are based on..I have the Ananda Nano’s,which are 1 level down from the Arya’s..The tuning is superb,very nuetral with excellent bass & good slam..
The HFM sound is no where near as warm & darkish as the LCD-2,which I owned & sold because their weight wasn’t a good match for my bad neck & upper shoulders..Never had any trouble with HiFiMan..
Another headphone I HIGHLY recommend for comfort,lighter weight & SUPERB,naturally warm,highly organic tone, is the iBasso SR-3 with the caveats that you change out the cable to one using Silver plated copper & give them several hundred hours run in before critical listening...The Bio Cellulous driver they use has that slightly dark,warm tone similar to the LCD2 & the silver over copper cables opens up the treble just enough to add a touch of detail & transparency to the tone..I have the original Limited Edition SR-1 with upgraded cable & the tone is absolutely glorious,dripping with honey rich,golden glowing tonal colors,extended,tight bass & just enough on the top end to bring out low level detail without ever being harsh..I liken their tone to the finest 300B SET amplifiers...
Check out reviews of any headphone on your short list at head-fi.org.....

Here’s a third recommendation for HiFiMan’s big head designs—in my case, the HE 1000. They LOOK massive and awkward, but they’re exquisitely comfortable, very open-sounding (and sound-permeable: others can hear you, and you will hear ambient sounds in the environment), really deep and natural bass, extremely "fast" (those nanometer membranes, I guess) and transparent...I’ve owned a lot of headphones over more than 50 years, including STAX, and this will be my endgame pair. Of course, there’s a cost—namely, cost! They’re ridiculously expensive. I’m guessing the Arya are similar in comfort at least (very likely in SQ as well; I got my HE1000s from a friend in the biz; would never have spent so much on headphones otherwise).

FWIW, I also love the Headroom headphone amp. It eats batteries, but the cross channel processing circuit is a very subtle wonder. You know that feeling when one channel goes out while wearing headphones? Like your head suddenly got cleaved in two, or your hearing went out completely on one side? With the Headroom circuit engaged, disconnecting one channel sounds much more like what it would sound like with speakers: you lose one channel, yes, but you still have a sense of three dimensional space. This effect contributes to the realism of headphone listening in a magical way.

I use Grados on my large Norwegian head with the large pads that sort of surround your ears instead of being on them. Problem solved for me anyway.

The swing wing system on some of the ATH models like the one you mention are very comfortable. I have it on my ATH-W1000 and it is nice. For full size headphones, the best balance of comfort and performance for me was the Senn HD-800. I am assuming that the newer HD-800S carries on this tradition.

That being said, I now use Custom In Ear Monitor style devices. I had custom in-ear tips made of the 64 Audio U10 and I also have an older pair of Lear (in Hong Kong) custom in-ear monitors. In terms of comfort, isolation, and performance, I feel like custom in-ear monitors really fit the bill.  They weigh almost nothing so there is no weigh or pressure issues on the top of the head or the ears for long listening sessions.