Pass Labs X260.8

I'm a slave to this hobby

I have been running my Sonus Faber Electa Amator III with a Pass Labs XA25, and it sounds great. I listen to mostly phono, Linn LP12 and Pass Labs XP15 phono pre.    

Although the XA25 is a sick amp and runs way above 50 wpc at 4 ohms, I could not help but think I needed more headroom. Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a pair of demo 260.8s. Yes, way more than what I need, but screw it, I worked my ass off this year.

So, currently, I have my stereo rack on the right side of my bedroom, but the speakers are on a 90 degree wall, 10' away. I have very nice Morrow SP5 bi wire speaker cables that run 26' down into the basement, and then up to the speakers. I have 3' of slack to move the speakers out from the wall when serious listening. For casual listening I move them back closer to the wall, so my wife doesn't kick them over out of frustration when walking by.  My question is, do I leave the SP5 speaker cables at 26' and place the 260.8s in the rack, OR purchase 26' balanced cables, and have the 260.8s on the floor between the speakers with shorter speaker cables. Yes, my wife will hate this arrangement, but because I have been relegated to the corner of our bedroom for my ridiculous hobby , I may be willing to die on that hill. But it really comes down to the best sound. I sit 8' away from the speakers and they are 8' apart when 30" off the wall. 26' balanced cables or 26' speaker cables. The general consensus will be longer speaker cables, but I always see mono blocks right next to the speakers....

128x128marktheshark

Longer balanced cables, as short as possible speaker cables. If you take a look at the manual, this is what Pass recommends, and is usually the consensus.

Like @geof3 says, long ICs and short SCs, unless you are using a passive preamp in which case you would want to keep the ICs as short as possible for best sound

Post removed 

I will be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences in sound quality between the two amps in your system. I owned Pass designed amps for decades. You will certainly get more slam from the 250. 

Thank you for your advice Geof and Mitch, I always thought of keeping the interconnects as short as possible because they were more critical to the sound of the overall system, rather than speaker cables. Is it because I would be using balanced cables instead of unbalanced?

I am looking at Morrow 8 meter balanced interconnects. I have used shorter cables from Morrow in the past, and they seem like good quality and a good value. Obviously, with my configuration, I am am going to be paying a lot for decent 24’ cables if I move the amps next to the speakers.

Regarding the PASS Labs X260.8 manual. I have not found it specifically online, just more generic .8 manuals. I'm sure something will come with the amps.

Post removed 

My experience and from knowledgeable folks has always pointed to short as possible speaker cables and longer preamp - amp interconnects. 

Yes, using balanced cables allows for longer runs. 24’ speaker cables would be WAY more expensive than interconnects. 

I can't afford most of the cables made by Stealth, but they do have a good tech discussion on their website that deals with the decision about longer speaker cables vs. longer interconnects. Stealth strongly supports longer interconnects rather than long speaker cables. Ideally, both should be fairly short IMO, but that isn't always possible in real-life living spaces.

@marktheshark - I would definitely go with the amp as close as possible to the speakers and use speaker cables that are as short as possible.

I would also opt for speaker cables with totally separate +ve and -ve wires to reduce noise contamination between +ve and -ve conductors.

Conventional cables (i.e. with both conductors side by side in a single cable) will create noise in the conductors - especially with the PASS amps

There are not many brands out there that will work their best with the Pass amps because of their symmetrical balanced approach, so you might have to resort to making your own (or have them made)

You could use Neotech stranded (or solid) UP-OCC wire to build your own short cables and attach Furuz Silver plated Spades or Bananas that can be attached by solder or even screw termination.like this one

For the XLR cables, checkout professional grade band gear - there are some very robust and flexible options - like these...

UGREEN XLR Cable XLR Male to Female Balanced 3 PIN XLR Microphone Cable DMX Cable Compatible with Amplifiers, Condenser Microphones, Mixer, Behringer, Preamp, Speakers, Recording and More (3ft) : Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

OR

https://www.amazon.ca/Microphone-Cable-VANDESAIL-Female-Balanced/dp/B08JNYXGGP/ref=sr_1_31?crid=330SFCKOVTDSL&keywords=xlr%2Bcable%2Bscreened&qid=1640622474&sprefix=xlr%2Bcables%2Bscreened%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-31&th=1

Another established brand in the live music world is

Custom Series Microphone Cable | Accessories | D’Addario (daddario.com)

I use all of these cables for band work - in both XLR and single ended designs and their construction is very good and they sound great also + very affordable compared to audiophile grade products

Hope that helps - Steve

williewonka, thank you for the info, that is interesting about separating the + and - conductors of my speaker wires. I was using 26' bi-wire Morrow speaker cables, and now changed over the XLRs for the longer run. I have cut the pair of speaker cables into 4 lengths, each length has 8 smaller conductors in parallel. I will experiment with using different configurations, bi-amping, biwire and now biconductor.

As an aside, there is a very well-respected pre/amp manufacturer on this site, and if I understand correctly, he states that there is little difference in sound from one XLR interconnect to another. As contrasted with RCA interconnects.

Cannot verify this as I only use RCAs.

@jetter - WRT

he states that there is little difference in sound from one XLR interconnect to another.

He’s probably correct for many commercial products, mainly because they all conform to the more generally accepted cable geometries (i.e. two wires inside a braided neutral and they use similar wire.

However, if you get into DIY you can improve performance over the commercial products by using SOTA wires and insulations and a more unusual cable geometry

Unfortunately many of the DIY designs do not lend themselves to Cables longer than 5-6 ft.

But if that’s all that is required then you can improve perofrmance significantly by using designs like this one

Cables like these offer superior dynamics, details, clarity and imaging regardless of whether they are single ended or XLR

Of course there is the "Balanced vs. Single ended" debate, but from what I have heard from many others that have compared the single ended Helix DIY to the XLR version - there is little between them - some prefer XLR and some prefer single ended .

So this leads me to believe that it then becomes more a case of, which cable type better suits the connected components.

Regards - Steve

So, if in fact, XLR cables all seem to be the same. Where would they fall into range of single ended cables? Are they over all better, average, worse than unbalanced?

All XLR cables are not the same, all single ended are not the same. Performance of single ended versus XLR are highly dependent on each component. I have owned a lot of the equipment you own or slightly different models. The most important parameter is the sound of the interconnect or cable first… will you hear a sound quality difference between using the XLR and single ended (other than volume… which is not good or bad as it doesn’t change any characteristic in your system), maybe, maybe not. If your going to do a long run… I would use XLR, but it might not sound better… the brand is what is important… how it sounds with your gear.

For forty years I chose single ended. First because it was all there was, later because my other stuff was single ended… but times are moving on. Now I have all XLR… I will buy all XLR in the future. It is figuring out the best brand / model for your system.