Paradigm 120h vs Goldenear Reference

Curious if anyone has cross demoed these speakers and what were your thoughts?

mofojo

@henryeng ,

I had the Triton Ones for over a year. Not the 1R I know but the Founders IMO are better from my memory. I want to say much better but they aren’t side by side. 

@avanti1960 ,

I am going to play with this in the next 2 days and I’ll let you know if I figure it out. Wife and kid out of the house for couple days so daddy can play! 

@dep14 

do you have any info about how to manually update any settings in ARC ?  the dealer i visited was unclear.  

I have Triton One.Rs, but considering an "upgrade" to Founder 120H.  Would this really be an upgrade?  Any thoughts?  Anybody ever compared those two speakers?

Got it.  That’s interesting.  Thanks, and glad you like what you’re hearing now. 

Well I had (have for sale) Cornwall IVs. The Lyngdorf just sounded a bit sterile with them. Also the room perfect didn't seem to play nice with the Cornwalls overall. I preferred it turned off most of the time which is the opposite of every other speaker I've used with the Lyngdorf. Not sure if it's cause they are horns or super sensitive?

Now just need a dac and streamer. I’m vinyl only since I sold my Lyngdorf. 

Ouchee!!!  Couldn’t imagine being without streaming anymore.  Out of curiosity, what made you sell the Lyngdorf?

Got the Jolida all retuned and biased. Sounds awesome! I may stop the amp hunt for a while and enjoy what I have. Now just need a dac and streamer. I’m vinyl only since I sold my Lyngdorf. 

@mofojo 

New tubes in the Jolida could make for a lot of fun.  I would love to play around with a tube integrated for 2 channel with the 120H.  Sure, it's almost the "opposite" of running EQ as you are adding a little distortion.  But, I've always found that EQ really works best in the bottom end, and do tend to like a bit of that lushness on the top end.  

With so many companies out there now offering the ability to try components and return them you could play around with a few integrateds.

The 120H is a really good, and fun speaker.  I wish mine were the walnut finish (I have the dark cherry as they were a killer deal used, even with the clear coat on the top not being perfect).  But really a great speaker to have fun with.

I've run mine with bass traps in all 4 corners of the room, and just in the two back corners. EQ'd them each time.  I prefer mine with the traps just in the rear corners.  I like the extra "thump" I get with no traps behind the speakers.  The EQ still keeps it tight.

I bought a Jolida 1000RC a while back I’m driving them with. The tubes are at the end of their life and just found out one is bad. Not turning it back on till the new tubes arrive. I was thinking a Parasound Hint or maybe a Sugden A21SE for some thing different as a 2nd alternative for comparison. 

@mofojo 

I've "downgraded" my electronics in recent years. 

I back to running my Marantz AV8801 for everything as a pre-amp, though I run it in "pass through" mode with an outboard DAC.  Using a Parasound A31 amp to drive it and the Founders Center.  It's WAY overkill powerwise.

I think that one of the beauty's of the 120H, if you wanted a simple, 2 channel system they would be awesome with the built in amps for 300HZ down. You really get a feel for how little the amp drives for those split seconds before the sub amps kick in.  

What is cool, if you really wanted to shape that top-end sound, I don't think you need more than 80 watts or so to really drive them.  I'd like to have some fun with a tube intetgrated sometime.  But I really think you could have some fun with integrateds with them.

@dep14 ,

What are you powering the 120s with? I picked up a used pair at a pretty killer price! Had to drive about 8 hours round trip but worth it. Now possibly looking for a new “to me” integrated to pair with them. 

I demoed both extensively.  Both are good, but the built in ARC room correction on the Paradigms is absolutely outstanding.  I ended up buying the 120H.

I like the legacy speakers also, I just feel with the build in room eq below 300hz the Paradigms were outstanding.

Sometime, I would like to demo the XD series of the Legacy Signature and Focus with room EQ and see how those sound also.  

The values out there, particularly used on the 120H, is just outstanding.

Post removed 

yes, true the GoldenEar Reference is more expensive. It's apples and oranges I guess, top GoldenEar model vs. 2nd tier Paradigm

At that time I had Sonus Faber sonetto 5. Tritons had bass but everything else was better with sonetto

I have heard some Paradigm speakers. Not GoldenEar. GoldenEar speakers seem to be cheaper and better value but, in the same time, Paradigm speakers are also very good value, high quality, reputation, etc. I think it’s a no brainer to go with the Paradigm. The devil is in the details though, what the amp is, they are both high sensitivity speakers but still, one may be a much better match to your existing components than the other

established HQ revenue # of employee # of models lowest $ highest $
GoldenEar 1990 USA/CA/Irvine 8.2 <10 9 625 12000
Paradigm 1982 Canada/Ontario/Toronto 36 <150 17 399 39000

we were a dealer for both the founders 120 were the better loudspeaker but took up a bit more space

However we never sold a lot of either, the legacy signatures still proved to be the best sounding loudspeaker below 10k, even compared to these two excellent competitor's, perhaps the reason was the legacy's bigger, warmer, presentation, and greater efficiency 94db.

you really cant go wrong with any of these great loudspeakers.

Dave and Troy

Audio Intellect NJ

former Paradigm and Golden Ear,

current legacy dealer.