Open baffle speakers

Open baffle speakers design is the simplest , to get bass response similar to other design , like ported, the baffle size must be huge to avoid low frequency degradations . Tipical size the baffle   width 10-20"  got weak  bass performance.   I am wondering how open baffle speakers design became so popular ?

128x128bache

@bache you keep talking-down open-baffles, and saying "measurements", "measurements". So here you are, in-room measurements from the speakers I made, including open-baffle subwoofers to fill-in the lower octaves using REW and calibrated mic...

Config2 LXmini (Optimized w-Sub) 2021-04-30

As you can see from the graph title, these are a stereo pair of Linkwitz LXmini's complimented with a stereo pair of Linkwitz Phoenix (alt) open-baffle subs resulting in a fairly flat full-range response. They are preamp'd, crossed-over, EQ'd and amplified with a pair of Hypex FA123 (one FA123 mounted in each of the Phoenix OB-subs). Why a stereo pair of subs - "don't you know freq's below 80 Hz are mono to the ear!" I say BS - stereo is stereo at every freq, and if you want to listen to mono bass - do your thing (but don't complain to me when it doesn't sound or measure the same). Regarding the subs... they are extremely articulate and 'fast' enough to keep up with the LXmini - my experience is anything less (sealed, ported, slotted, etc.) is less. What is the (alt)? While I encourage everyone to read Siegfried Linkwitz recommendations on driver selection (and every other topic)... "alt" means 12" Peerless Tymphany XLS830500 drivers made in Denmark (instead of whatever where the original recommended drivers). Each cabinet (of the stereo pair) receives two of these drivers mounted front-to-back and wired out of phase to cancel even-order distortion and provide inertial balance of cone mass. This is what the system looked like. I was testing-out a Denafrips Ares2 at the time - it added no appreciable benefit. Notice none of these speakers are very far from the front wall (the system is in a 600 sq.ft. bedroom) and plays louder than I want...

I read a lot of arguing which is typical on this platform (and sad for the self-proclaimed mature and skilled in the room). There are many ways to acheive audio bliss. For me (an engineer), same as motorcycling and other hobbies, joy comes from the journey more so than the destination. I realize many (maybe most) folks listen for the music; meanwhile, I listen mostly to the system. How well does it put me on the stage, convey the emotion of standing amidst the musicians and instruments first-person - instead of in the front row (listening to microphones, switchboard, amps and speakers). Long ago, I discovered that elusive realism comes from dipoles (same as instruments). I've had so many different speakers (e-stats, ported monster coffins, stand-mounted, etc.) in this room and so much gear (various amps, so many DACs, multiple power conditioners, expensive cables, etc.) and nothing out-does the current configuration: LXmini + Phoenix(alt) subs source is my wife's old (broken screen) Samsung phone running DeX outputting HDMI to the Hypex amps via Coax audio stripper. An invisible system that delivers video and spacious 2-ch audio flat full-range response. Why does it sound better than everything in the pile of abandoned speakers and gear that still occupies space everywhere (I have control) in the house? Listed in order of sonic priority: LXmini, OB-subs, signal is digital (no analog) all the way to the amps within the subs (no analog signals - not even XLR), only one (1) single conversion (which is digital to analog) inside the Hypex plate amps - no multiple conversions back and forth (ADC/DAC), reclocking or resampling/upsampling (like many systems). 

@mwatsme You measurement looks very good , you made good job . Only one question , What is distance between microphone and bass driver cone ?

If you an engineer , you must be know the lenght of low frequency wave . So if you stand close to driver the bass may be ok. But if go 3-4 feet to side the wave from front cone and back wil be eluminate each other , I am not hate anything. Each design have some issues , To be find out which is better in you particular room there is best way to make A-B comparision ,

@bache Every speaker design has “issues.”

You doubt OB’s, as if you’ve heard every OB. And yet here you are representing yourself as knowledgeable. Perhaps you’re filled with as many assumptions as knowledge? Personally, one thing I believe people can’t relate to is their speed. I couldn’t, until I heard them.

Now you’ll argue time alignment or whatever measurement, as if that relates to all OB’s. Personally, I think you protest too much. Argue away. I’m done listening to your opinions.

You know with dsp you think you could get around alot of problems and electronic crossovers.even if you don't like that you could get them close with electronic crossover and then build a fixed capacitor and crossover with coils and inductors.enjoy the hunt and experimenting..

Back in the old days past, most manufactures of console stereos had open back cabinets. Some of these sounded really great and had no lack of bass.

In experimenting while building DYI speakers I found a properly damped cabinet with not fully open back but partial depending on the cabinet size can open up the sound stage. Allowing an internal pressure regulated to breathe. With a resonator port internal to the cabinet with part of the resonator end open in my case  with a front vent also made a Smooth lower mid bass. Midbass woofers usually cross over at any number of frequencies depending on the woofer can cross over from 500 to 5,000 depending on the setup. The woofer also does mid range as well as bass. The tuned hemholz took charge of the deep frequencies. There are more factors than you can shake a stick at when building. But this worked in my case. I am not an expert by any means.  However if open back is used properly I think it is rewarding. I just had fun. I suspect some higher end open back manufacters are striving for openness not sounding like a cabinet or case is there at all.