Non-fatiguing speakers in $10K range?

Some years ago I downsized to headphones only. Now I have access to a dedicated room again, so getting my absorption panels and ASC Tube traps back from storage... :-) The amp is going to be Accuphase E-800. I like class A, and I owned fair share of Pass gear but Pass integrated (and lower preamps) no longer have tape loop. I also like my gear to look the way I enjoy and Pass went too industrial for me.

Anyway, long story short. Speakers. I prefer relaxed, non-fatiguing sound. My headphones are Meze Elites and I love them. I also own Focal Utopia, but rarely listen to them, too forward for me.

Now, music-wise I do not listen to jazz or classical or vocals, sorry. Classic rock, hard rock, 80s new wave, punk, pop (classic and modern) and African blues like Tinariwen. People tend to insta-suggest forward sounding speakers - you like metal, right???. But I don't like piercing sound and I rarely go to concerts exactly because of this. I listen to AC/DC but NOT at 'realistic' revels. I like rhythm, melody, but I don't care about 120 Db.

The budget is about $10K, give or take, most probably second hand, but I can buy new, if I really like it. Unfortunately, there are not that many high end shops around Seattle with gear I like. Some went selling vintage and some went up selling only $100K+ systems. So most probably will be getting something blind.

It seems I should be looking for ribbon tweeters, I spent hours at youtube - it is definitely not listening in person, but some recordings are pretty decent and many show differences between speaker models.

I also compare frequency response measurements - I can easily tell that I won't like the speaker by looking at the chart. Ex, bump around 2-6K is a no-no since this is what "bright" is. Dip is actually good since this is what makes sound less "in your face/ear".

So far I more-or-less narrowed my search down to Legacy (Signature or Focus), Dali 8, ProAc (D48 or K) and - maybe - Magico A3? Legacy is huge, I am not sure I really need 20Hz extension. Magico has beryllium tweeters which may be bright....

I purchased Tannoy D700 many years ago, still own them, they are part of my TV set up. They sound good, but not as good as I would like it. My desktop speakers are ribbons too - AirPulse, I like them quite a bit.

Anything else I am missing?

mikhailark

Non fatiguing is easy to find but shouldn't be the only thing on the list.  A smooth speaker that sounds slow, lacks micro dynamics, obscures detail and adds coloration may sound uninvolving and boring.  

mikhailark

There are some really great recommendations already put forward, that are really helpful. If I were in your shoes with your listening tastes (and with your Accuphase), I'd pay attention to speaker sensitivity. Some thoughts if I were you (and this is not to poo poo any other suggestions), I'd look at: Volti Lucera's (99db), Fyne Audio Vintage Classic XIIs (96db), JBL 4349 (91db), Revel F228b (90db), and maybe the aforementioned GR-Research Billie (94db). Some might be hard to find to demo, some not

Unfortunately, there are not that many high end shops around Seattle with gear I like. Some went selling vintage and some went up selling only $100K+ systems. So most probably will be getting something blind.

I haven't read the entire thread, so perhaps someone has already suggested this, but you should visit Gig Harbor Audio if you haven't already.  The owner has a good ear for the type of speaker you're looking for and they carry a number of lines of British type monitors - Harbeth, Graham, Rogers, as well as high sensitivity speakers like Devore.  

You might also consider joining some local audio clubs - we have one here in Olympia that meets monthly and Seattle has one.  

I have been through a fair amount of speakers and keep coming back to Harbeth.  I currently have the Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 in my main system in a fairly large room.  They are the 30th Anniversary edition, not the current XC model.  I have also owned the Super HL5 Plus and have the P3ESR along with the Stirling Broadcast - LS3/5a, which is almost identical to the Super HL5 Plus, but priced lower.  I've also heard the Harbeth 40.2, which are amazing and could be found pre-owned in your price range.

I like speakers that are neutral and easy to listen to, but have detail, great midrange, and excellent imaging and soundstage.  I am very sensitive to anything that sounds "bright".

My room is fairly large, but I listen close to nearfield, about 9 feet from the speakers.  I have had larger speakers like Klipsch Chorus and Legacy Audio 20/20 in my room, but they were too much for the room and didn't image like smaller monitors do.  

I've had the Compact 7's in my system since the end of March.  My original thought was that they would probably end up in a second system, as I have KEF Reference 1 speakers and didn't think anything at or below their price point would be better, but I have not had any desire to put the KEFs back in the system. 

The KEFs are marvelous speakers that perform way beyond what you might expect from something their size.  They produce a remarkable amount of bass for a speaker of their size and while not super efficient, are relatively easy to drive.  

Some other options you might consider are Joseph Audio Pulsars or some of the small Gershman Acoustics speakers.  Vandersteen are also a good recommendation.

@mikhailark , I have to apologize for getting your amps mixed up - somehow I was thinking low-powered Class A Pass Labs, when it’s actually low-powered (but not as low-powered) Class A Accuphase. Speakers with a voltage sensitivity at least in the lower 90’s still make sense to me given your room size, because imo clipping on the peaks would degrade the sound quality.

I owned a pair of Accuphase stereo amps years ago. They could be bridged to run as two very powerful mono amps, but they sounded better in stereo mode. So imo it is quite possible that, despite your amp’s extraordinary ability to maintain full rated power output into very low impedances, it will sound its best into an 8-ohm load.

I mentioned PiSpeakers, and you mentioned measurements. My favorite from their lineup is the 7Pi, which is an innovative corner horn type speaker that actually has excellent measured response. It would probably need subwoofers so that pushes the cost possibly beyond your price range, but if you appreciate innovative, outside-the-box thinking, you might take a look at it.

Just to be clear, I have zero commercial interest in Pi Speakers. I compete against them.

Duke