New Technics 1200

Now that the new  hyperexpeniveTechnics 1200 G   will be coming  out in several months,($4000?], I'm wondering what Audiogoners think would be the  next best thing [other than buying a used 1200 MkII] as far as the closest equivalency in quality and performance in currently production turntables? Examples are the Pioneer PL1000X, the Stanton :150, and the Audiotechnica 1240, among others?
boofer
For $4000 I can think of many other tables I would go for before the new 1200, even though what lays under the hood is apparently a much different beast than the older run. 

It just doesn't float my boat. On the used market that $4000 will get you a very nice spread indeed. I also feel my current two tables are better, although, they have been extensively modified and too are as big a departure for the originals as the new 1200 is from the old. But still I have way less than 4000 into each.

Keeping with the old design really is not a smart marketing choice for a new upscale table.

That being said, I imagine that after the special run is done the price will come down and the street price for a new one will be closer to 1500.

I'm wondering what Audiogoners think would be the  next best thing [other than buying a used 1200 MkII] as far as the closest equivalency in quality and performance in currently production turntables? Examples are the Pioneer PL1000X, the Stanton :150, and the Audiotechnica 1240, among others?

The next best thing to a new SL-1200 GAE would be a good used 1200 MKII.  None of the other Chinese built SL-1200 knock offs will come close to a Japanese built SL-1200, new or used, when it comes to quality.  And the new one is built in Japan - I spun one around at AXPONA this past weekend just to be sure.  Its an impressive TT.

And while this table would not be my first choice for 4 grand, I also don't feel its that overpriced for what Technics had to do to bring a quality direct drive back to the market.  Remember, whether this TT trips your trigger or not, no other TT has exceeded the worldwide sales of the SL-1200 for both home or DJ use.  There's even one on display at the Smithsonian.  After the initial run of 1200 have been sold, I don't see the main production run selling for too much less than 4K.  If direct drive is what someone wants, where else is someone going to go  - the 30K VPI? 

(After the initial run of 1200 have been sold, I don't see the main production run selling for too much less than 4K.)

Actually, I seem to remember reading that the first run is considered a "special" run and limited. After this there is suppose to be a standard run and will sell for much less. 

That's magnesium chassis version. The aluminum chassis will be cheaper.
The deck is better than most Regas, Pro-jekts.
The standard version will be cheaper. I'd say that magnesium chassis version will easily outperform Rega RP9.
Hard to tell from looks, but that tonearm looks about the same as the old ones.  Not a terrible tonearm, but I don't think I would use anything more expensive than a Denon 103 in it.  I guess if VPI can ask 20K for its DD, Technics can ask 4.  
Actually, I seem to remember reading that the first run is considered a "special" run and limited. After this there is suppose to be a standard run and will sell for much less.  
No, they are going to be the same price.

http://www.whathifi.com/technics/sl-1200g/review

Mofimadness is correct.  The pricing has been well known now for a couple of months.

And the Technics rep at AXPONA just this past weekend confirmed the same.  So if anyone want this TT, makes sense to get one of the 1200 GAE limited edition as the production G model will cost the same.

Unless of course market reaction forces Technics to change its pricing strategy.  Time will tell.

If you do Mitch, please give us a thorough review.  And remember, if you get one of the next 900, you will be getting the 50th anniversary edition (SL-1200GAE)  that will be a cut above the later edition (SL-1200G).
All this is interesting as to  opinions about the new Technics 1200, but my original question's intent was to address merits of the recent Hanpin clones compared to the original 1200Mk2.. I guess I wasn't clear, for which I apologize.

You were very clear and I addressed your question in my very first post. I will repeat the answer here...

The next best thing to a new SL-1200 GAE would be a good used 1200 MKII. None of the other Chinese built SL-1200 knock offs will come close to a Japanese built SL-1200, new or used, when it comes to quality.

There is no comparison and IMO, these Hanpin tables have few merits other than being cheap.  I would buy a used SL-1200 MKII any day over a Hanpin built knock offs. They are riddled with problems from inability to keep proper speed on the AT’s to loose tonearm bearings on the Pioneer.  I have even heard complaints that the strobe dots were flaking off the platter.  This may not be what you want to hear, but its the truth.

Thank you, Paraneer; are there ANY positive opinions re the Hanpin clones from other Audiogoners? I have read very good reports in Stereophile as to the Pioneer PLX 1000, and Mapleshade thinks very highly of the Stanton 150 to the point they believe its worthy enough to sell a hotrod version for $1495.
Boofer, are you kidding ? Do yourself a favour, stay away from any clones of Technics by Pionner, Hanpin, Audio-Technica, Gemini, Vestax, Stanton or whatever CHEAP CRAP designed for pro use in the club for djs today. Professional standards is very low today. All those turntables are plastic sh***t.

None of them can even get close to classic SL1200/1210 mk2 (made in Japan). You can buy this deck used very cheap from Japan, then you can upgrade it also cheap (feets, tonearm etc). This turntable build like a tank and i’ve been using it myself since 1995. Still have upgraded pair here. But in the main system i use SP10 mk2 and SP20 waiting for new plinth. It’s like a day and night compared to SL1200/1210.

If you like Technics simply buy SP10 mk2 and forget about SL1200/1210. It is not worth the investments for upgrade SL1200/1210 IMHO, much better to start with a new deck like SP10 mk2 !

Vintage classic direct drive decks like Denon, Victor 81 and Pioneer PL70II, Luxman 441 and others available today for reasonable price used.

Again, if your looking for something positive about the Hanpin knock offs, you won't get it from me.  Just straight talk.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would pay $700 for a Pio PLX-1000 when less would get you a good used SL-1200 MKII.  And just another $100 gets you a totally refurbished Stokyo SL-1200MK5.  But good luck to you in your Hanpin quest.

I am going to add my .02 cents worth here, (for what it's worth).

When I first got into the audio business, my first store was a Technics dealer.  I sold hundreds of the SL1200 series of tables.

I still have a SL1200MKII from that time.

I have been very curious about these so called "clones", so a couple of years ago,I went out looking for some to see for myself.

I bought an Audio Technica AT-LP120 off of Craigslist for $100 from the original owner in perfect shape with the Audio Technica AT95E cartridge.  All with very low use/hours.

A couple of weeks later, I found, off of Craigslist, an Audio Technica AT-LP1240 for $200.  Again from the original owner in perfect shape with the box and manual.

All I can say, is that I've had a blast with these 2 tables.  They are pretty well built and sound very good.  Not quite the equivalent of the Technics SL1200MKII, but surely not as bad as what is stated above and on other forums.  This is from "personal" experience, not just hearsay.  Granted, I have very little money in them and probably wouldn't have bought them new, but used and at the right price, they ROCK!!!

NO, they are not better or even close to my VPI or Oracle or fully modded Regas, nor are they even close to the price of these, but really not that bad either...

I don't know.... $4k sounds a little steep to me but I guess it's all a matter of what the market will bear. I think a good price would be $3k maybe. I mean the last model was like $2500 before they were discontinued.

In fact I am using a 1210M5G with a Herbie way excellent II mat, Ortofon 2M Black, and a highly modified Tubes4HiFi PH-16 tube phono preamp with very satisfying results. I have the whole thing resting on a DIY Gingko cloud platform. With only $700 (used) in the turntable, $500 for the cartridge, $100 Herbie Mat I just cannot see  $4,000. If anything I would purchase an SME 309 arm and maybe a TimeStep HE III external power supply.
As a someone who has serviced audio gear for many years, I can confirm there is a vast gulf between the quality and construction of the SL1200II clones, and the genuine Technics turntable.  Most would be shocked to see the internal construction comparison.  

The 1200II is a solid all around turntable, and hard to beat for DJ use.  For $4000, the new G model would be near the bottom of a long list of turntables I would consider.