Network Switches

david_ten
@mitch2
To make sure I am clear, should I run a single short Ethernet cable from my router to the switch and then connect the various TV devices, plus my Antipodes DX server, to the switch....is it that simple?

Yes correct. It doesn’t matter if the TV is connected to the router or the switch. Just the audio components matter.
The reason I suggested a second hand Cisco 2960 switch rather than a cheap new net gear switch is that:

1. When compared to a cheap switch they sound better. I compared the Cisco 2960 to a cheap net gear and the difference was obvious. The Cisco switches are really well made and have top quality parts inside re clocking, power supply and shielding which seems to help compared to a cheap new switch. 
2. I have heard that they are comparable to an audio switch but have never heard a dedicated audio switch so have no evidence here. 
3. They are cheap on eBay. In the UK a £400 new price 8 port Cisco 2960 switch is £50 on eBay. 
4. If it does not work you can resell it for the price you paid.
Thanks again guys.
Regarding power supplies, I have an HD Plex just sitting around that I can hook up to my router this weekend.  The HD Plex I have is totally configurable for different voltages with multiple fixed and variable outputs.  I can also verify the output using my volt-ohm meter.  I may eventually be able to use it to run both the router and a switch when I get one.
There are well made switches and there are switches that were made specifically to be sold at Walmart. Once you pass a certain level of build quality, all switches at that level could be considered audiophile quality. It really boils down to what artifacts outside of the data that the switch brings can be delt with by your streamer/system. Cheap power supplies, cheap caps, cheap ICB's, you get the idea. If your streamer buffers, then speed also becomes not so important. Most isp's use a medium grade switch/modem which they try and tell you you have to rent (you don't) and unless the Audiophile switch is coming straight off the ONT at your house, all your data is passing through a medium grade switch at best. At the end of the day if your system sounds better to you after buying a $1500.00 switch, keep it and enjoy it.
Let me say first that I'm no expert at all in things digital.  But what I know as an indisputable fact is that there is RF noise associated with the interaction between toroidal transformers, amplifiers, other gear and routers/switches/cables.  This is easy to observe when I get LOUD obnoxious "motorboating" pulsing depending on placement of my router near my rack.  I get very audible noise carried on the physical ethernet cable as well if I'm not careful with placement relative to the rest of my gear.  I think none of this has to do with the 1's and 0's being transmitted as part part of the signal and has EVERYTHING to do with shielding and RF/EM interference.  Noise can get carried on the physical line (antenna essentially).  The materials that are used to shield the cable so it's not acting as a noise conduit is incredibly important.  I'm not convinced the "quality" of the bits transferred has anything to do with what my ears are capable of hearing.  I think separating the switch from the renderer in the router can reduce RF noise.  I used a $20 Netgear switch and observed this myself.  I will never pay $2000 for a network switch though!
Things that may or may not make a difference in what I will hear is that with my Roon endpoint, the Metrum Ambre;
"The board is completely and optically decoupled from the rest of the Ambre."
This is apparently done using;
"ultra-fast industrial optical decoupling"
and
"The network connection is also galvanically isolated."
My understanding is the main Pi board and the outputs board are optically decoupled.
They also apparently use two femto precision clocks by Tentlabs.