Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

@car123 Looking forward to your impressions. I used the Cardas usb for some time, my present AQ Diamond bettered it by large margin. I've also tried various cat config generics,various AQ, Supra, Wireworld Platinum. USB cables make a difference.

I used a Joule Electra LA100MKIII with many diy mods for years, the 300ME is very nice pre. I came very close to purchasing First Watt for my Klipschorns, would be my first choice for SS for high efficiency speakers. NIce system and vinyl setup.

The generic FMC, especially using stock switching power supplies is not especially effective, optical needs optimization just as everything else. I used all AQ Vodka when I had all ethernet setup, still using prior to server, the AQ is first rate cable.

My setup extremely unique in that I use ethernet out of server, optical conversion and usb rendering/streaming done POST server, directly in front of dac. I've tried various setups and upgrades PRE server, network upgrades much less impactful in front of server versus after. Even adding an audiophile switch with OXCO clock to feed server was not beneficial in my setup.

what made you choose the Sonore ultradigital over others ? Sonore products are ok but never sound bigger in my setup. For small/desktop system, they might be very good but not if you have a bigger one. The Singxer, AudioGD, Gustard, Denafrips has been constantly proven to be the leaders in the ddc market. If your system is already sounding good with usb and you really want to improve over it, you need to get the best ddc.

Is MH-DA005 compatible with an I2S output (HDMI or RJ45) of Denafrips DDC such as Iris? Cary DAC-200ts and IRIS are my current digital setup, and I am contemplating an upgrade of the DAC.

@jeony Hi, There's probably a good chance it'll work. However to be exact you'll need a custom cable or look on You Tube about changing over wires in HDMI and RJ45 (easiest) cables. There are even Chinese RJ45 cables designed for this.

Or get one of these https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/l-k-s-audio-usb-100-usb-audio-interface-pcm384-dsd512-i2s-rj45-hdmi-coaxial-out-dsd512-with-crystek

I'm sure if you ask them nicely if you can have the Easter special price of $206.00 including shipping they'll agree. Then you can use any standard HDMI or RJ45 cable into a 005.

@jeony

Although it seems not everyone will agree, my own thoughts on this subject, specifically for the Musetec, is that using a DDC that converts USB to I2S is not an optimal way to increase SQ. Musetec has put a lot of engineering and quality parts into doing that very same function extremely well. It is one of the outstanding features of the DAC. The devices spoken of merely duplicate what is already being done. IMO there are other proven ways of boosting SQ into Musetec inputs. See what @sns has written, for ex.

Theoretically, but questionable as to practicality, would be using a DDC that has an RJ45 as an INPUT and I2S as the output thereby bypassing the USB stage entirely. This eliminates all concerns whatever about USB limitations including those of USB cables. There are such DDCs. Do a search if you think it worthwhile to pursue this path.

That being said, IIUC the Denafrips Iris has no dip switches or other manner of adjusting for the lack of I2S standard in cables. However, unlike some other DDCs, it allows both for HDMI and RJ45 cable outputs matching the input side of the Musetec. A custom RJ45 cable is relatively easy for anyone to make.