McIntosh MC-2125

A few years ago I purchased my first McIntosh amplifier - happily for me, it was an Audio Classics-restored MC-2125 that I now believe I got for a song (from all places, EBay... which was a stretch for me). I have enjoyed it so much I’ve been considering another, but either the prices have really risen over the past 2-3 years or I found a much better deal than I had initially thought (even on Audio Classics a heavy wear, fair condition (D1) unit is $1299); EBay prices are $2000-3500 depending on condition (I can’t imagine the high end is right, but who knows anymore).

So my asks:

First, for those who have owned an MC-2125 and (an)other McIntosh amp(s), how did they compare for you? I find it to be rather warm and tube-like.

Second ask, what pre-amplifier would you recommend for the 2125? I have been eyeing the C29, which is appealing because I’ve heard the phono section is just wonderful (not to mention it has two phono inputs), it has a nice variety of inputs generally while maintaining a relatively slim form factor, and has that beautiful (in my opinion) classic Mac appearance. These, too, seem to be on the rise in price these days... also $1299 in D1 condition on Audio Classics and mainly above $2000 on The 'Bay.

Thoughts?
128x128boxand1
Sorry this isn's an answer to your questions but I have been looking at power amps and integrateds and McIntosh is one I have been considering and yes the prices at least for me are pretty high right now. 
The reason is that McIntosh holds its value very well.  You also get fantastic build quality from a manufacturer that has been in the business for a very long time.  I have 2 Mac systems and they will be passed down to my 2 children when my time is up.  I bought all mine used from Audio Classics and would never buy one off eBay.  Most of the ones on eBay do not have the factory cartons.  You have a better than 75% chance that your eBay unit will arrive with broken glass if the factory boxes are not used.   Also, AC checks out every unit and they are graded much better than the guy who thinks the unit is a 8 when it is really a 5 or 6.
I have a MC2255, bought new in 1981. You are right boxand 1, itis very warm and tube-like. I have it with different pre-amps through the years, such as the McIntosh C-32 and McIntosh C-2300. It sounds great with both transistor and tube pre-amps. Congratulations on your purchase
Most of the ones on eBay do not have the factory cartons.

Yes! I ebayed a non factory boxed (mc452) about 2 years ago. Arrived with broken glass. Make sure if you do this, it is insured. On quality, I bought a new mc2500 and used it for 27 years. It was like the day I purchased it when I sold the unit (with original boxes) and received a really good price. I never had to have it serviced. I have speakers that are difficult to drive, so I purchased the 601's. For me, I think the old 2500 had a slightly warmer tone than the new equipment.