McIntosh MC-2125

A few years ago I purchased my first McIntosh amplifier - happily for me, it was an Audio Classics-restored MC-2125 that I now believe I got for a song (from all places, EBay... which was a stretch for me). I have enjoyed it so much I’ve been considering another, but either the prices have really risen over the past 2-3 years or I found a much better deal than I had initially thought (even on Audio Classics a heavy wear, fair condition (D1) unit is $1299); EBay prices are $2000-3500 depending on condition (I can’t imagine the high end is right, but who knows anymore).

So my asks:

First, for those who have owned an MC-2125 and (an)other McIntosh amp(s), how did they compare for you? I find it to be rather warm and tube-like.

Second ask, what pre-amplifier would you recommend for the 2125? I have been eyeing the C29, which is appealing because I’ve heard the phono section is just wonderful (not to mention it has two phono inputs), it has a nice variety of inputs generally while maintaining a relatively slim form factor, and has that beautiful (in my opinion) classic Mac appearance. These, too, seem to be on the rise in price these days... also $1299 in D1 condition on Audio Classics and mainly above $2000 on The 'Bay.

Thoughts?
128x128boxand1

Showing 1 response by tobor007

Most of the ones on eBay do not have the factory cartons.

Yes! I ebayed a non factory boxed (mc452) about 2 years ago. Arrived with broken glass. Make sure if you do this, it is insured. On quality, I bought a new mc2500 and used it for 27 years. It was like the day I purchased it when I sold the unit (with original boxes) and received a really good price. I never had to have it serviced. I have speakers that are difficult to drive, so I purchased the 601's. For me, I think the old 2500 had a slightly warmer tone than the new equipment.