Mcintosh customer support

Requested Firmware update from Mcintosh for my ageing but still good sounding D150 Dac Mcintosh customer support virtually refused to supply Firmware v 1.02 with me . their answer was,,

( Unfortunately, company policy prohibits me from sending out firmware updates. We used to distribute them openly but they ended up on forums and were installed into incorrect units causing a massive influx in service repairs. At that point the company instituted the policy to no longer distribute them.)

it is so sad that Audio Giant like McIntosh do not care about their customers.

128x128sabih

@sabih,

I found the info below but do not know if this answers your question. Please review:

”The McIntosh D150 digital preamplifier requires the latest firmware to be installed for proper operation, especially when using the USB audio input. According to the search results:

To update the firmware on the McIntosh D150:

1. Check if the D150 has the latest firmware version. If not, you need to update it first before installing the McIntosh Windows USB driver software.[1]

2. Download the McIntosh Windows USB Driver Software Package and unzip it.[1]

3. Run the "McIntoshHDSwPkgSetup.msi" installer. When the Windows Security window appears, check the "Always trust software from ’Savitech Corp.’" box and click Install.[1]

4. After the software installation is complete, reboot the computer.[1]

5. In the Windows Sound Settings, select "McIntosh-HD HS USB Audio" as the default audio device for proper operation of the D150 via USB connection.[1]

The search results indicate that updating the firmware and installing the latest McIntosh USB driver software is crucial for ensuring reliable and optimal performance of the D150 when using the USB audio input.”

I have a processor from nad that occasionally gets a firmware update. You hook up the Ethernet to The processor and commence an update.

Why is McIntosh making this so difficult? And maybe the need for the firmware update ain't really necessary.  

Apple keeps updating their iPad continuously for all kinds of complicated crap nobody uses and it serves too slow up the processing Power of an iPad. But you gotta do it because of security so you always at the mercy of the update process. Although an audio component doesn't rise to this level of security concern.

My dog never needs a firmware update.

I called McIntosh a few weeks ago...   simple question about my Dad's amp.  They picked up on second ring, transferred me to a tech that answered my question in about 3 seconds 

Many thanks for your suggestions , I'll be shipping the unit to dealer on monday have a nice weekend all.

( I've decided to off load all my mac gear MC1000 Mono amps C46 Preamp D150 Dac Watch the space)  historical and nostalgic reasons may keep the mc 30 amps) hopefully I'll be replacing them Plinius 150 x2 and ref m10 and Berkeley Audio ref 3 Dac.