Luxman vs Accuphase for Harbeth 40.3 XD

I'm considering trying a SS integrated to power my 40.3 XDs. I'll buy used.

I've heard great things about T+A but they are really pricey, and Luxman and Accuphase look interesting, there are 2 examples for sale currently.

Luxman L-509X $6,300 and Accuphase E650 $12K

I hear a lot about high damping factor being necessary to get the best out the the Harbeth's (Luxman is 370 and the Accuphase is 1000).

Honestly cannot justify $12K at the moment but I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on these 2 amps for my speakers? Or any other suggestions?

macg19

IMHO, it is really hard to beat the tube preamp/SS amp combination. Regret that I sold my ARC Reference 3. But I think a hybrid integrated is the best compromise. Asthetix Mimas has been on my radar. Will have to add your BAT to the list. If I do decide to go the separates route again, a Backert Rumba or a Zesto Leto would  be high on my list for tube preamp based on reviews and bang for the buck.

@dcevans Cool, glad you got something out this.

Backbert and Zesto look really interesting, the Zesto looks gorgeous. I’ve bookmarked these, thx!

Have you looked into the Pathos Hybrid Integrated? I've heard from some reputable industry sources that they work very, very well together. Also, look up Norma Revo 140 Integrated. The Classe monoblocks get a thumbs up too. 

Here's another link I found that may be helpful if you are still on the hunt. 

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/amplifiers-in-use-with-big-harbeths-mon-40-series-that-work-very-well

I have a pair of 40.3XDs paired with an Accuphase E-800 and an Esoteric N-01XD streamer.  Both are connect to an Accuphase PS-530 and all are grounded with a Shunyata Altamira.  I am also running a pair of Rythmik E15HP2s. It is the most enjoyable, soothing and non fatiguing system I have ever heard.  It plays for 6+ hours a day.  It sounds great at 90+db but also sounds full and lush at 70db. Couldn’t be happier.  

@audiophil88 @lewl28 I ended up buying. BAT vk3500 open box 50% off which was just OK in the end.

I’m now using the T+A PA 3100 HV and love it.