Looking for a true upgrade in sound quality

I currently stream Qobuz and Tidal through my Lumin T2. I have had this about 4 years. I have AT&T fiber optic internet to the house the ethernet cable direct to the Lumin. About 30' of cable from the router to the device. I was thinking of using the Lumin only as a streamer and adding a conceivably better DAC. Is this a legit way to go about a more resolving sound. To my ears there is a slight veil over everything and maybe a little etched overall, bass response is great. I was also hoping for a recommendation for the DAC if this is a good option. $6,000 budget new or used is fine. I have had very good luck with used equipment over the years. Thanks, Allen.

backwash

Can you outline the rest of your system? The issues you are having could be with the preamp and amp as well. I had etch in my system and much of it was caused by the preamp section of my integrated amp. And at higher volumes, the amp itself, and even the speaker cables to a smaller degree. Tell us more.

mikhailark: from a data center using generic HD servers like banks use. Nothing "audiophile" about it! And posters here worry about what streamer, what cable, what DAC ...

try an RPI 4 running Picore and LMS.

If an RPI 4 is good enough for Bryston to use as a streamer (enclosed in a fancy case) it should be good enough...

The biggest change in a system is always from a change in speakers...

Well, a different DAC would change the sound, but so would a different ethernet cable, or a different digital cable, or different interconnects and power cables.  Everything makes a difference and will change the sound to varying degrees.  All you can do is try different combinations of things until you find the sound that you're searching for.    

No Ethernet or power cable change will give you the performance boost that a DAC will. Bricasti M3 or M1, Chord DAVE used. Get a good USB or AES from Lumin to DAC and you’re set.