Listening Room

Hello to all,

I think this is a situation many audiophiles find themselves in: That being your listening room is NOT a dedicated room that your expensive audio system resides in. You do NOT have a chair that is perfectly positioned in between speakers to optimize your listening enjoyment. Why? The room simply cannot accommodate a chair in the center or, most likely, your wife and/or significant other will not allow you to place a chair where it's supposed to be when listening.

Having said that, you listen to music from everywhere in the room. How does one go about speaker placement? How do you increase the sound stage? Are some speaker brands better than others when you do not have a dedicated listening room? Thanks for your input.

lovehifi22

High employment, rising wages, dropping inflation… which has been two or three times higher in the past, stock market making new highs. Sounds pretty good to me, and I’m retired. The US has the sixth highest income in the world, with only tiny countries in front of us. It has been a little while since I checked but i think saying over 6 billion people have income far below the US average income is pretty safe. Over half (over 3 billion people) make less than $7/day. I think we’re in pretty good shape.

Several years ago I built a special room added to my house for the purpose of giving lectures on classical music.  I built it to acoustic principles so it would also serve as a listening room.  I’ve not had the need for further treatments.

I believe there some speakers that produce a more even "power distribution" through the room. My experience is that none are better than LARGE planar speakers, like big Magnepans. There are others such as some Audiokinesis models and Endow Audio speakers, using dynamic drivers. I thought of KEF blades as well, but they are not quite as good as it, in my humble opinion. Below the Schroeder frequency you need multiple subwoofers to continue an even "power distribution" in to the bass.

Listen, a good stereo is a good stereo even if you listen in another room- and it’s really good when it sounds good in another room. More often than not, I’m listening from my kitchen or my front porch or over supper in our dining room and not a fussy, dedicated little chair to obsess or drive myself crazy in. My stereo is great and I very well know it. I bought it and I put it together. I’m listening to music and I suggest everyone else should put some of this entitled little anal chair energy into just listening to the music.

If that’s how you’re listening, you can call it whatever you want but you’re listening to equipment.

All that said, I look forward to getting myself a hot small system 'Listening Room' at some point soon in my retirement, but again, I'm going to be doing other things while playing music so it's more of a 'me space' for naps, my tchotchkes and art than an Audio Laboratory. 

Listen, a good stereo is a good stereo even if you listen in another room- and it’s really good when it sounds good in another room.

+1.