KEF 104/2 vs B&W CDM 7 SE

Anyone  heard both or either of these? I own the B&W's and really like them for relaxed listening. They sound decent with great stereo imaging and provide a nice clean sound. My other speakers are Cerwin Vega e310's That are okay for really cranking some rock music and some clips f30 synergies which sound a little harsh to me. 

Been trying to buy some kef q950s on marketplace but it's been a week now but the guy will not get back with me. I ran across a ad for some k e f 104/2 At what I thought was a decent price and they seem to have some pretty decent reviews.

Looking for opinions on both speakers, weaknesses and strengths. 

soundseeker810

The 104/2 is a fine speaker and better than the 15 years younger B&W but it has nearly 40 years on its back. A long time, suggesting that something would need attention. 

Petg60, thank you for your input. what's your opinion of the kef q950 vs the 104/2's?

I went ahead and bought the 104/2's but didn't think they sounded as articulate as the B&W's.  Come to find out after taking the 104/2's apart both 8" woofers had di disintegrated center foams. The outside ring is rubber on these but the inside is foam. I guess there's no rhyme or reason as to why... Some of the have foam both inside and out. 

That could be why they didn't sound as good. Have the foam ordered now and looking forward to doing the repair myself. 

The guy with the Kef q950's apparently was out of town and it's back now so those are available for $810 pr in like new condition. If they are a much better speakers I may resell the 104/2's. I may have overpaid for them at $500 pr. 

I used 104/2s for several years then replaced them with 107/2s for a major upgrade in sound.  The 107/2s are also handsome.  Make sure you get a matching KUBE.  I'm using KEF Reference 1s now, augmented by a pair of Velodyne HGS-15s with SMS-1 acoustic room correction.  I replaced the 107/2s because I didn't want to insert the active KUBE between Ayre preamp and amp, perhaps foolishly.

@soundseeker810,

104/2 and Q950 are not made by same cloth. Ther former was in their reference line while the later is a good looking and more economic speaker with an easy going sound (if you want that).

But as you discovered work has to be done to resurrect the 104/2 while the Q950 could most likely be trouble free.

@soundseeker810 

I realize this is an old thread.  That said - I can offer this experience on the KEF 104.2...

1) Rebuilding this speaker is something frequently done - you probably are aware of Youtube videos on the subject

2) The key to using this speaker is to supply power from a quality amplifier.  I have my connected to Parasound JC1 Mono Amps (woofer units only) and a Parasound Integrated (tweeter and mids only)

The end result is that I have sound that surpasses many systems at local HiFi dealers at under the 20K price level.  The soundstage is remarkable.  The bass is all I could ask for without adding subs (nothing I plan to do).  The mids really shine on female vocals.

On the whole the speaker, when powered correctly, offers a warm open sound.  If there is a negative is the lack of highs from a newer model tweeter - but that's usually something I try and avoid as I find them all too bright.

I am so pleased with these speakers that I own two sets.

Best of luck with your HiFi decisions.