Just upgraded to Fiber Optic feed ( 500Mbps) from Spectrum (250 Mbps) OMG

I just wanted to let everyone know, I just got fiber optic service into our neighborhood. The glass fiber feed into my home instead of Spectrum’s copper feed (for the last twenty years) is like night and day thru my Main stereo system. The sound quality is like a veil has been removed from my LUMIN T2 streamer/dac. 

I have paid $100 per month for 300 Mbps with Spectrum - throttled back constantly to 200 Mbps. My new provider in SC - Upcountry Fiber costs $60 per month for 500 Mbps -  currently getting 590Mbps.

God Bless competition!!

there is even visual improvements on my 4 K Sony TVs.

if you have access to hard wired glass fiber - grab it!

Happy Listening

tom8999

What… And here I was thinking fibre optics was old-school. Haven’t had wire coming to the house for 10 years. Now 1.5 Gbps, 940 Mbps. Guess that’s good…A

Cheers 

@sfgak 

Which Router did you buy?

I want to do the same to have AT&T route fiber optic to/in my (US) house as I have copper from original house build from 1994. I think I can get Blue Stream FO but their reviews and Customer Service reviews are very bad. 

Will the Router you bought work with AT&T? Awhile back I read that AT&T fights you if you try to use your own router. Don't know if they would with FO though.

Thx

@sfgak 

Which Router did you buy?

I have been a fan of "prosumer" equipment like the UniFi line by Ubiquti for a long while. Their latest offering, Cloud Gateway Max, looks interesting. I then buy separate WiFi access points (like the U6 Pro or U6 Long Range). To get them set up in different areas of your home, you can either run ethernet cable, or if that is not practical, then use the MoCA ethernet over coax adaptors, which can be found on Amazon. These allow you to turn the existing RG6/RG59 cable TV wiring in your home into a gigabit eithernet network. They work like a charm.

I am using one gateway (one generation behind the one I mentioned) plus 3 access points (upstairs, downstairs, and garage), connected via MoCA adapters / coax. Speeds are awesome, and with three access points, there are no dead spots in the house. You can also run multiple wifi SSIDs. I have one for computers, one for devices (smart scale, Tesla, etc.), and one for guests. Keeps random IoT devices from infecting your computer network.

And once you have >500 Mbps, then you can skip cable TV, and subscribe to streaming services in addition to your Qobuz/Tidal/whatever.

@sfgak 

Thanks.

I'll be having ATT install FO to the house and then an Ethernet port near my equipment rack for my streamer. Likely getting an EtherRegen switch so I can send a signal to my streamer and satellite box. 

The router will go upstairs to my desktop so I'll have ATT do FO port upstairs as well if necessary as I just need Chromecast to receive WiFi signal from upstairs which it now does.