Is it me or new audio gear is too perfect and give ear fatigue?

Since getting back into the hobby during covid I’ve really enjoyed listening to music vs. bluetooth low quality speakers.  Since listening to my Nautilus 803 speakers with old Yamaha Amps (MX1, MX1000) they’ve been sweet sounding and warm.

A lot of people have said the new equipment is near perfect chasing specs, sounding bright and causing ear fatigue.

Curious if people feel the same?

128x128webking185

good sounding gear vs bad gear that hurts

new gear vs old gear

those are what's called independent, uncorrelated axes

At the beginning of the pandemic I tried out a Cambridge CXA80 and had some fatigue and than sort of went away after getting use to it, but occasionally would get fatigue. Sold it and tried a vintage Marantz 2270 and also had slight fatigue but not as bad as the Cambridge. Sold that off and picked up a McIntosh MA252 hybrid and in the beginning had some fatigue but got use to it and sounded great with Tidal MQA and vinyl. Sold that off and picked up a Primaluna Dialogue Premium tube amp no fatigue but than switch the two front 12AU7 tubes and got initial fatigue but went away after I got use to it. I hung on to that tube amp until recently and never had fatigue after the initial swap of tubes. Now picking up a Technics su-g700 and will see how that turns out. I may end up back with a Primaluna if things don’t work out with the Technics.

P.S. my speakers of choice and they never changed since the beginning of the pandemic were my trusted JBL 4312SE 70TH Anniversary edition. 

Nothing is too perfect. You have vendors and listeners that like analytical sounding gear, and most others don't. There are many vendors that pair warm sounding gear with their products to take some of the bite out, other vendors don't. 2 examples; B&W almost always teams up their speakers with Mcintosh or Classe warm sounding gear (they actually bought Classe), and then you had the benchmark dacs that would make a dog run away it was so analytical/shrill sounding.

What I say sounds great, you may say sucks.

What hurts my ears, you want louder.

It seems what modern medicine knows about

how human hearing works is still in the 10 percentile

group.