Is a McIntosh MA12000 a good fit for a Sonus Farber Amati Tradition?

Folks-

My life has become crowded. I have a dream system (for me), including Wilson DAW speakers, an Esoteric X-01D player,  and ARC SE500 SE monoblocks; I am trying to simplify my life.

I am looking at connecting a McIntosh MA12000 integrated amplifier with Sonus Farber Amati Tradition speakers (used). Do you think this is a good fit?

Thanks - Gerry

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xgerryah930

I find that they work well together-the McIntosh 12000 and the SF Amati Tradition speakers. They are located in our main room, not in the smaller acoustically-prepared room where I had the ARC monoblocks and the Wilson DAW speakers. I love detail and timbre, so the new pairing is not as focused, but I can listen and move around more without losing the sound - I sacrificed focused listening with incredible detail for a sweeter, more generic sound. The one thing lacking is bass, and that may be a room issue, and I noticed that some folks add subwoofers to the Amati speakers, but that is too much for me. It has worked out to be a good compromise.

How did the switch in speakers go? DAW and the Amati are on my list. Can you give me your thoughts?

Absolutely! Mac and Sonus Faber play very well together. The MA 12000 is a real gem in the McIntosh lineup. Check out some videos on YouTube of the Sound Sommelier, there you will find some great Mac/Sonus pairings.

I have Mc 601, c2300, and SF Amati traditions. So similar to what you are considering. The Amati are relatively new to me and it took quite a bit of work to get them placed properly. They are definitely more forward that the Olympicas I had. With Wireworld cables it was on the edge of being too detailed for me. I have now swapped out to Cardas cables and the system has balanced out. I can’t compare to your system, but Mc and SF to match well. I did put in Telefunken tubes that I had on hand that has also dialed in the SQ for me.