Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent
Latest from this front. Looking to upgrade the following in the near future and would welcome any suggestions or comments you have. Here’s where I’m at now:

-Piega C10 LTDs speakers are here forever. Try and pry em from my dead cold hands.
-McIntosh MC402 amp, love it! Getting another to run mono for more power. I’ve had the McIntosh for 12 years, half in storage.
-Technics 1200GR table. Love it, not interested in upgrading.
The arm, very interested in hearing thoughts on any upgrades or stand pat?
-Lehmannaudio Black Cube 2- Weakest link but I still really like it. It’s my first phono pre and for the price, it sounds great. But for a few extra bucks, I think I can do way better. Sutherland 20/20?
-Current main cart is the MoFi Master Tracker which I really like and have complaints. A couple MC’s and MM’s would be nice to have regardless.
Ortofon Cadenza Blue perhaps?
-My cables are Audience and Shunyata I’m happy there.
-Anthem MRX 520 receiver
-McIntosh C2200 sitting in the closet. I've tried the phono stage on the C2200 and don't prefer it to the Lehmann's. The Anthem has such wonderful room correction. I do like running everything through it. I may tinker a little with the C2200. It's a great preamp for sure!

As for my listening experience now? Lovin it! Listening to Herbie Hancocks Head Hunters album from the dining table and it’s got me movin :) Love the sound and enjoying the experience. I hardly listen to my digital side anymore...

Look forward to your comments
@trelja
@avanti1960
@chakster
@marktomaras

My McIntosh C2200 preamp has been pulled from the closet and dusted off. It's got tubes and sounds fantastic delivering the signal to the Piegas. I was originally running the Anthem for everything due to the room correction and addition of sub for movies. I'll keep the Anthem hooked up for movies, that's it. The C2200 is so good...
Not unless you spend $1000 on tweaks.  

A great table is one that sounds better than my class A digital.

The short answer is  NO
A GOOD  rig can be had, but not a great one; the cartridge alone will hit for 1 K ; I would say  4K for impressive sound, and that would include the cartridge.

From my experience, and a whole lot of other people a, Rega P-3 is the place to start, and tweak at your convenience; sub platter, tone arm wire, platter, heavy weight for tone arm; these items will make a Rega sing.
@knollbrent 

A couple MC’s and MM’s would be nice to have regardless.

This is the answer to your question. You have a nice tunrtable, but i have no idea about the "sound" of your system and all those mentioned components, but i know for sure that different cartridges is what each of us should try. Since you already have a modern cartridge, you have to check the vintage classics to understand why that classics is so highly regarded today. For you Technics tonearm you need a mid of high compliance cartridges, definitely not low compliance. The compliance figure must be about 15cu @100Hz (Japanese system) or 30cu @10Hz (Rest of the world). Actually Japanese 15cu (measured at 100Hz) is equal to 30cu (measured at 10Hz in the rest of the world).

Some cartridges that most likely can blow you away are as follows: Victor X-1II, AT-ML170, Stanton SC-100 WOS and probably the Grace F9E (or higher). They are all Moving Magnet and works fine with your arm and phono stage. If you need help to find any of them let me know in PM, i have some spares.  

Recently i have checked Dynavector KARAT 23RS MR on Technics toneam/turntable and i was very impressed! I would recommend KARAT with its short Ruby cantilever for your tonearm/turntable. My JLTi phono stage was nice for this cartridge, loaded at 220 Ohm in my system. For more info about Dyna you can check my thread:     https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/dynavector-cartridges-old-and-new 
Excellent @chakster  I appreciate you chiming in. There's nothing wrong with having a half dozen or even a baker's dozen lot of carts I gather. Change em out when you like. I'll look into these, thanks again. 

@orpheus10  maybe I misunderstood your comment but I already have my table. (2 months now) 

There are many factors for a "great" sounding table; scrutinizing adjustments is one of them.

The most important factor is the cartridge for you; initially you should buy the cheaper cartridges, and when you like one brand over another, buy one in the vicinity of 1k in that brand; this is for a long time, you won't regret it. Cartridges in the vicinity of 1K are very competitive, meaning they're all good, but in different ways.

I have a Grado Master, it's for jazz and female vocal, not for rock. Experiment as much as possible.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-Planar-3-Turntable

This is a good table, tweaks and the right cartridge can make it a great table; I have one that's tweaked out and it really sings; sounds better than class A digital.
@knollbrent in my opinion, your system looks really good.

It's a good thing to love the loudspeakers as much as you do.  I've also felt quite impressed by Piega.  They need some power, and of the solid state variety, which you have covered.  And as the MoFi cartridges are pretty new on the scene, and I've not heard them, I don't know their sonic character.

Nothing jumps out at me as anything I would change.  Asking you if you want to push things more to the liquid or engaging or some other side probably looks like the better question at this point.  If something jumps out that you have as a goal, maybe then folks can offer suggestions.  But you may already have found the right place for you
@trelja  I do the love the Piegas. I was able to get them for a 1/3 of their new price. I don't want to imagine a day without them. They're special, legends no doubt. Adding another fatty mac, 800 watts each, will take them to the promise land. 

The only reason I'm even thinking of any changes is because it does sound so good. With the recent introduction of my C2200 McIntosh preamp (storage for 7 years) the Piegas again evolve now more than ever with the vinyl. To sum it up. That's why. The system sounds more extraordinary than ever and I just got started in the vinyl world. Looking to see how deep the rabbit hole goes :)

The MoFi cart is fantastic in my opinion but it's my first cart.It doesn't make want anything else but I know there are so many fun options out there. Audiogon has always been a great place to get advice. Most of my current system was recommended 13 years ago from this site. 

Great questions sir!

System update!

Loving the 1200 GR and the lehmann audio black cube se ii phono pre is not too shabby for the price but am upgrading soon to the JLTi phono pre from Australia. 

Drum roll please.....

I'm a 2 turntable guy now! I just bought a minty vintage Luxman PD-444 TT from the late 70's. A 2 armed sucker too! I'll be putting on a vintage Victor UA-7045 with vintage Victor X-1lle cart to start off. 

Thanks again everyone for the great recommendations!!!
knollbrent

Just moved into a smaller room and also went with 
some Piega speakers although not having that wonderful
coax ribbon.
Still breaking them in as we speak and need to proceed with 
some acoustic treatments. Can't say enough of the Swiss 
build quality!
@totem395  congrats on the Piegas! Just getting them? What model are they?

@lewm chakster has hit me hard with Vulcan mind meld but gotta say, I'm super happy with his suggestions and purchases. This Luxman is a beast of table. Two arms! Minty condition from 1978ish. Regarding the Zu speakers. Zu ain't happening in my house, not with the Piegas running show :)
@knollbrent 

Having recently downsized to 1/3 of what I was used to 
for my audio space I choose the Piega premium 501's which
are quite compact yet impressive.