Impact of a DDC using SPDIF (not I2S)

I have been toying with the idea of trying a Digital to Digital Converter to convert the output from my Innuos Zenith MKIII from USB to SPDIF. The SPDIF would then connect via AES to a Merason Reuss DAC. A likely candidate is the Denafrips Hermes DDC. 

My question, and I already know the obvious answer, 'Try it and see', is whether I would gain much converting to SPDIF. I know that this is highly component dependent. Switching away from USB into the DAC moves the clocking into the DDC vs using the DAC's clock. Many of the folks who have used DDC's successfully use the I2S input on their DAC, however the Merason Reuss does not support I2S input. 

I realize that my mileage may vary, but I am hoping to hear from others that have used a DDC to help me decide if I want to try one out. It is not an inexpensive experiment, a bit of due diligence up front is warranted. Let me know your thoughts.

zlone

@fuzztone - Denafrips (or their former dealer) youtube videos actually clearly state that DDC effect depends on the source. If source is already good, there may be no effect - like there is no reason to chain 5 DDCs, right?

I2S is always better sounding 

I bought the top Wireworld  hdmi and it sounds great 

my wife has the Denafrip Iris  ddc and it really cleans up, the noise and cleans up 

the signal .

My findings with my Hermes is that there is slight improvements to soundstage size, depth and better bass definition. I've had it since March of 2022. I use 3 inputs, so that is convenient.

Thank you for all the replies, this is very helpful. What I am hearing is that a DDC is most effective when the source is lower quality or if there is a genuine need to convert or split the signal to different formats. Given that I have a well regarded source in the Innuos Zenith and a very decent DAC in the Merason, I think that I will put this idea on the shelf for now. Thanks again for your input!

I have a Statement.  I found using an Antipodes S20/S60 to output S/PDIF (BNC) is a benefit even with the Statements excellent USB, so higher quality sources also benefit.

FWIW I also found the Ethernet output of the Statement to be better than USB.  I use an OpticalModule/Signature Rendu Deluxe to change Ethernet to USB and then to the Antipodes.

I can't say enough how blown away I was when I added the Signature Rendu Deluxe,  I think it has been the single most profound upgrade I have made.  Its more than just the Optical as I used an UltraRendu/OpticalModule combo before the Signature Rendu Deluxe.