I need help regarding tube phono preamplifiers

To the Audiogon community. I am currently considering one of three possible all tube phono preamps to incorporate in my two channel system. The three phono stages are 1.Aesthetix Rhea phono preamp 2.Zesto Andros Deluxe II phono stage and 3. Vac Renaissance phono preamp. I will incorporate the stand alone phono preamp into my McIntosh C48 preamp and utilize a Clearaudio Performance DC turntable with a Clearaudio Universal tonearm and Kiseki Purple Heart phono cartridge. If anyone has experience to help me compare the differences between these phono stages I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks.

andyhifiman

Per Mike recommendation, aka @mulveling I rolled some Mazda France production silver / Mica tubes into the front end of the Herron….it’s better but it’s no ARC Reference, nor should it be. Keith does an amazing job with the stock tubes. I hope he can find a way to license production to another respected audio firm so this great design and very well executed product can live on. 

Jim

@koetsu13 I certainly think that is an avenue worth exploring, the MM input on the Herron bypass the FET front end ( i will ask Keith ). One of my Winter projects is to tune up my venerable Roger Modjeski RM-4 pre preamp….might have to put that between Delos and Herron for grins….

thanks for lighting a fire

Best

Jim

Hi Jim-

yea, I believe it bypasses the Herron’s fet stage.  The zyx is battery driven which helps on positioning with noise/ hum.  I’m also going to A/B a Klyne pre-pre in front of the Herron  to see how that impacts the tone. Never heard an RGR preamp, although I still have some of Roger’s RAM tubes.  Best of luck.

Yes, I do have some knowledge, experience on the subject.  While not the lowest output MC cartridge, .48 mV output is pretty low, and the likelihood hood of hiss will creep into your listening pleasure.  I use cartridges typically around .2 mV and there is no quiet tube phono stage out there, period.  If the hiss doesn't bother you, fine.  But I don't hear any advantage of a tube preamp over a solid-state phono.  For the most part, a solid-state phono preamp will be operating in the most linear part of the output of a transistor; class A if you will, and dead quiet.  Makes for more detail, a clearer soundstage, all the audiophile buzz words that could apply to better sound.  

I have had a Linn Linto in my system for the last 15 years. Loved it. But always wondered if tubes could add more midrange warmth and give those saxes more body and real world sexiness.following the reviews of @mulveling I ventured forth with the Hagerman Trumpet MC a year ago. After 3 weeks it went back as it made music as sweet and musical as my linto but was only marginally different and certainly the midrange was not improved.

One year later a friend of a friend brought a modified EAR834p into my system and WOW! all my dreams were answered. Saxes were sexy. I heard deeper into the grand piano and Tom Waits was in my living room. I found a Scott Frankland modded EAR834p with Telefunken tubes and I can't imagine changing this. The only thing I'm trying now is SUT's. An Ortofon ST-7 was not an improvement so I wait for a SKY 20 to see what that brings.

Amazing that a design as old as an EAR834 can deliver so powerfully!