I need help regarding tube phono preamplifiers

To the Audiogon community. I am currently considering one of three possible all tube phono preamps to incorporate in my two channel system. The three phono stages are 1.Aesthetix Rhea phono preamp 2.Zesto Andros Deluxe II phono stage and 3. Vac Renaissance phono preamp. I will incorporate the stand alone phono preamp into my McIntosh C48 preamp and utilize a Clearaudio Performance DC turntable with a Clearaudio Universal tonearm and Kiseki Purple Heart phono cartridge. If anyone has experience to help me compare the differences between these phono stages I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks.

andyhifiman

Showing 1 response by vitussl101

Yes, I do have some knowledge, experience on the subject.  While not the lowest output MC cartridge, .48 mV output is pretty low, and the likelihood hood of hiss will creep into your listening pleasure.  I use cartridges typically around .2 mV and there is no quiet tube phono stage out there, period.  If the hiss doesn't bother you, fine.  But I don't hear any advantage of a tube preamp over a solid-state phono.  For the most part, a solid-state phono preamp will be operating in the most linear part of the output of a transistor; class A if you will, and dead quiet.  Makes for more detail, a clearer soundstage, all the audiophile buzz words that could apply to better sound.