Hype, Hyperbole and high price!

Okay, I understand that this site has to make money by having advertisers, but cheese and crackers, the claims that are made are just laughable if not down right criminal!  Before I attended an engineering university I too was duped into buying expensive wires and such.  Now, armed with an engineering and physics background, I can see through the BS claims made.  I try and not let it get in the way of my enjoyment of good quality stereo equipment, but when a salesman tries to sell me something based on testimonials, hype and hyperbole, I tell him politely my background and then ask him a series of questions which leaves him dumbfounded. 

Such crap as directional wires - (I used to work for both Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman) and trust me, if we had to test the miles of wires for directionality in every piece of equipment built...well you get the gist.

I have friends that are audio snobs and although they argue with me (Basically buyer's remorse) they know that what I say is true and end the conversation.  Oh well, I suppose I will continue to get a headache when I read said claims.

Sigh!
128x128kenny928
I occasionally transform into Madman, especially when the nonsense or propaganda detector goes off, but I do try to resist.

I do believe that value is in the eye of the buyer and that knowledge and understanding is always the best ticket.

Knowledge and understanding of people as well as technology. The listener is perhaps the most important component in any system for determining results. Most of the rest comes down to a few fundamental principles to follow to get good results and the rest is mostly personal opinion and preference, including how to best tweak and how much one spends or on what.

I consider overemphasizing the tweaks or fine tuning before addressing the fundamentals to be an exercise in futility to be avoided at all costs. i tend to disregard anything said about any tweak or fine tuning unless put into context relative to the primary factors that determine results prior. Put the horse before the cart as they say.   Anything otherwise will be a never-ending blind chase that benefits the vendors only.

Kenny 928 ' I was forewarned that this topic would spark disdain and comments, but I for one will not go through life taking a marketer's flowery description based on flawed science.'

I would say it didn't 'spark disdain', it started out that way.

And about not going through life taking a marketer's description.  Well you have a nice journey then. I do not think I will go on it with you. I figured out a long time ago marketing claims made many times are stretched to the 'inth' degree. Sometimes those companies feel to present something as fact, that is not fact. I can't take advertising at face value. And nothing can protect ourselves from that, except, ourselves. I don't want to be the advertisement police. You can if you want to though. Have fun.

I think you served this country so that people could have free speech no?

Personally I really don't care to much how things are advertised. But I do appreciate that many things come to market and tell us they are here to be bought. That is the important thing. Then we can make a decision, hopefully a wise one, after that. And then enjoy the many things we have to choose from.

I am sorry many of us cannot be as you said you were 'armed with a physics and engineering background'. But I think you are warning us of something we knew a long time ago.

https://youtu.be/c0hkXdb81VU

Thanks for your concern though.

The unwritten law seems to be that it is OK for marketers to exaggerate.    Its all part of the game.   Right or wrong, it helps keep goods flowing and our economy going.  

But its never Ok to outright lie.   At some point when vendors cross the border too far, they might get caught and penalized legally.   Usually it has to involve some harm to the buyer beyond just convincing them to spend their money on said product. 

Since most audio products are luxuries that as far as I know cause no harm, well that's what one has to deal with.

Engineering backgrounds certainly help.  Education should always be applauded not denigrated.   But there is usually two sides to any story.

Its all a game.   Some play it more honestly than others.

kenny928 " ...I was just pointing out that the industry is flawed and unless we as consumers put an end to it it will continue."

Let me get this straight: You've concluded the audio industry is "flawed," and you intend to repair it by your postings on Audiogon? Is that correct?