Hifi Rose 150B vs. Auralic Altair G2.1

Hello All, I am considering one or the other, as I'm interested in an All-in-one file player/streamer with its own DAC. They're both about the same money $5-6K and have been around long enough to hopefully garner some opinions.

koestner

I had a  Auralic Altair G1 and upgraded to the G2.1  it was well worth it.  Amazing ! 

no regrets 

OK, full disclosure. I currently have an Auralic Aeries G1 going to an Okto DAC8. My interest was to get a one box upgrade. Having read sunshdw post above I have decided not to pursue the Rose 150b. I was totally enamored with the giant screen and the use of the meters option. So much so that I was considering the swap. Well logic has beaten down my emotions, and if there is no better sound, then putting in an additional $3K for CGI meters is not worth it. I will wait and investigate a lot more.

I did a similar comparison with the 150B and the Aries G1 (search my name to read if you like). Sonically they are pretty close, IMO, and I kept my Aries simply due to the Rose not being $3k better and it also has a ton of features that I'll never use. 

So, in short, my choice between your two options would be the Altair if you like simplicity or if you're looking for a lot of bells n whistles the 150b, sonically they're very close. 

I'm open to any all-in-one player/DAC, I just didn't want to overwhelm my post with 50 different recommendations. That's not to say I'm not interested in Aurrender and the others, I just figured the Aurrender would be too much money.

I’ve not owned either but I did have a HiFi Rose 250b.  I really liked the way it sounded but the interface was a bit cumbersome, at least coming from a MacBook Pro streaming from Tidal and Qobuz.  I returned it after about a week when it started playing songs at the wrong bit rate from Tidal which made everything sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.  I could have lived with the interface but not the bit rate issue.  I’m sure it’s not indicative of the overall quality, I just happened to get a glitchy one.  Anyway, if not for that issue I’d certainly have kept it, I’m sure the 150b is even better.  If it were me and my money though I think I would try the Auralic.  Any reason that you aren’t looking at Aurender, Innuos or Lumin?  Those are the names that seem to garner the most attention here.

I use two Altair G1 and G1.1 in a weekend home wirelessly.  .Tthey are stable, rock solid and sound great for the money.