Help me understand John Coltrane .... seriously.

Hi Everyone,
Listen I have a favor to ask, and those of you better educated in Jazz can help me.

I always have a tough time listening to John Coltrane. It's like he's talking a different language.
Can any of you point me to recordings I should listen to on Tidal or Quboz or whatever that set me up to better appreciate the man?

Thank you for the musical education.

Best,

E
erik_squires
skyscraper,

Any way that you can write a manual how to stay classy and simple in every conversation?

It is a good thread, indeed.

bdp24,

I tried Ornette Coleman, after your mention, on the youtube last night. Thanks, I do have to say I like it much more than John Coltrane music I have heard. I may be going backwards, it seems.

This thread has been one of my favorites on AG. Really great, and people sgarung love of music and not going “violent-nerd” on kit.

Thanks to all for the kind words.  Truthfully I have had little to do with how good this thread is besides asking for help overcoming one of my own shortcomings.

All the credit of the value and content of this thread goes to everyone who has contributed.

Thank you,

Erik
Is this question just to keep this forum alive?  Seriously?  His question is tantamount to someone asking us to teach him not to hate something, but through an on-line platform. Right.  As a MASSIVE Coltrane fan, I won't even do this question the justice of saying any more than what I've already said.
Don't worry about John Coltrane. Listen to music you enjoy; if that takes you to J.C., fine; of not, that's fine too. I don't like heavy metal but I don't worry or feel sorry for not liking it and I make no attempt to try and understand it. It is not for me. Period. There is no law starting that you must like John Coltrane.