Happy Holidays and Your Favorite Tips?

Yes, I'm being inclusive. 

What's your favorite tip to audiophiles?  Here is mine:

If you are using a subwoofer with ported main speakers, consider plugging the ports and raising the sub crossover.  Even if you don't have a subwoofer, sometimes plugging one or the other can really reduce bloat.  It's worth listening to it since it's cheap and non destructive (assuming you don't lose your sock in the port).

erik_squires

In whatever you do learn to do it properly before you attempt shortcuts and bastardization. 

Merry Christmas,

barts

@erik_squires 

Subwoofers... such a deep topic! 😆 And as many have stated in varying ways, the only real "right" answer is the answer that sounds good to you.

That’s news to me, I thought the THX standard was 24?

Yes, absolutely. But I am assuming there are a large number of listeners who are using non-THX certified subs and/or receivers. Subs for music seem to have some variance here, but I've seen reference to 18db/octave being most common for that application. Tests of REL subs have shown those to have a 12db/octave slope. Some (such as Perlisten) are variable.

However, I do think that many speakers, sealed or ported, have a bass hump. The ability to raise or lower the Q isn’t limited to ported speakers.

Yes, the crossover designer can raise or lower the Q of the speaker wether ported or sealed, but how would an end user go about raising/lowering Q of a sealed speaker?

The solution I implemented in my room... I built bookshelf speakers with passive radiators using Purifi drivers (ultra-low distortion). The passive radiator boxes give me more low end extension without added room boom. I supplement those with 4 sealed 10" subs crossed over very low and running just enough volume to add some "roundness" to the low end. Sounds good to my ears!

Happy Holidays!

Yes, the crossover designer can raise or lower the Q of the speaker wether ported or sealed, but how would an end user go about raising/lowering Q of a sealed speaker?

I meant, a speaker maker can make a sealed or ported speaker optimally flat (rare) or bump the bass.  This is mostly a function of the cabinet though, not the crossover.