Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic

The best way to position a big amp is by themselves in between the speakers on an amp stand with the other components to the side.

@jfrmusic My friend and I both came to the same conclusion as you on the AHB2 when we compared it to the CODA #16. " I think the AHB2’s base has more definition and texture.". However, this was only on 1 very busy song. The others were a tie. My friend does not like the AHB2 overall. I think he wanted to find something nice to say.😀

Recommend using racks with casters so you can move them around.

Why would anybody rest these things on the floor? There is no Sonic impact if you use casters.

The one area where I think they differ the most with the Pass amps I've had is I think their high fequencies are a little more recessed,with less sparkle. 

@ddafoe The class D goes beyond human hearing so that's not a frequency response thing. Its more likely the difference in the distortion signature of the two amps since distortion is interpreted by the ear as tonality.

@atmasphere

Technical papers that discuss Class D topology suggest that the distortion resulting from the topology’s dead-time constraints is similar in effect to what we used to call TIM or SID distortion in high-feedback, low slew-rate designs.

IOW, pre-GaN-FET Class D artifacts sound to the ear like intermodulation distortion when reproducing rapid rise times -- e.g., transients. It’s certainly possible for a listener to interpret this as brightness or some other relatively simple frequency-response anomaly, but I personally hear the audible effects of Class D distortion more like the complex and nuanced effects created by high-frequency power-line noise.

I realize that I’m hand-waving a bit, but I’m trying to keep this message concise without dumbing-down.

And as for me, I’m negative on pre-Gan D topology. I have 4 Class D amps in service right now and am actively trying to replace them all. Or at least relegate them to home-theater surround channels.  I realize that there are some well-reviewed D-topology components out there, but I haven't yet heard them.