From B&W 804 D3 to Focal Sopra 2?

I posted this on Reddit as well so apologies in advance to those who may have seen it.

I have the Anthem STR Pre and Power amp. A dealer is selling a pair of Sopra 2s and he said my Anthem stack is very capable of running the Sopras.

I then read an ad from another seller and he said a lot of power is needed - dual mono (?) or better yet, mono blocks. I also watched a youTube short with that combination. Two people said the Anthem was “bottlenecking” the speakers - i.e. the potential of the Sopra 2 is constrained by the abilities of the Anthem.

Focal puts recommended power at 300 and my Anthem has 400 a side.
So I thought I’d ask thoughts are out there in internetland.

Currently, I’m running B&W 804 D3. I was running them with a 200 wpc integrated and I bought this Anthem set because it was sold to me for a really good price. I’m just not cranking up the volume.  I’ve owned several B&Ws and have found them to be weak in bass.  Improvement has been marginal over succeeding series.

Thanks in advance!

US; odd living/dining combo approx 13 x 30 ft; vaulted ceiling - 8 ft on low end; 15 higher end.; Classical, pop, EDM, folk/C&W.

128x128tobaccoleafpie

Thanks James, Erik. Good food for thought. I don’t think I’ll get those Focals after all.

Sounds like you’re looking at the Focals out of convenience/availability more than what they can do for you sonically, and there are many other excellent options out there.  What’s your budget and are you looking for new or used?  Alternatively, if you otherwise like the 804s you could add a couple good subs and that’d solve your bass issue. 

I don't know what B&W models you auditioned, but I have never heard them described as weak in the bass! I am speaking solely of the Diamond series, though. 

He is using the 804d3, measurements of the 804d4 below (note newer model so could be different). They measure pretty lean and sounded that way to me with lots of sibilance (strong “S” sound probably due to that 5k peak). I find the entire B&W line light in the bass with the exception of the 802 which was ok and the 800 was enough…. But I put a very high priority on bass and honestly can only be happy with subs these days so YMMV. 

Eric makes a good point that flat speakers like Revel might sound a little dull to you at first so demo stuff for sure. But after a few days/weeks flat will probably sound fine once you adjust. However If you like the 804 and just want more bass, subs are the answer. 

There are lots of good speakers in this price range so I would read up and then demo. 

Not necessarily high watts, but need a 2 ohm stable amp to handle the impedance dip.