Find the Problem

My analog front end isn’t as developed as my digital end, but I am just curious as to what members here would identify as the source of my issue, as I don’t wish to spend time and resources chasing after it.

To begin with, the analog source resides in a second system in my basement.  I won’t waste space detailing why.  Speakers are floorstanders with sub.  Silver line Panatellas with a Paradigm sub, specifically.  Amplification is 5.1 AVR by Anthem playing in 2 channel when I play analog.

Turntable is a newish (2 year old) Technics SL 1200 Direct Drive with an Ortofon 2M Blue moving magnet cartridge.  Phono preamp is a Cambridge Audio that does moving magnet only.

The problem, which I’ve only recently noticed, is a hardening at extreme peaks, particularly in the treble.  Specifically, flutes and high strings during orchestral climaxes.  Otherwise I am very pleased with the sound.

This problem isn’t present with my digital sources (Pioneer Universal player, television, even Apple TV playing old compressed iTunes files) .

I suspect it’s either the cartridge or the preamp.  I realize this is a modest analog setup in comparison to what many have, but hey it can be fun to tweak a modest bit of kit

mahler123

Doesn’t the AVR digitize the signal from the phono pre?  If so, maybe its the ADC that’s causing the problem. 

If it hardens in the same place regardless of volume it's the TT/Cartridge.  If it only hardens after turning the volume control to a certain point it's more likely to be the amp.

I have a technics tt as well, started out with a Pickering cartridge which had the harshness you were talking about. Then I went to the ortofon blue which made a huge difference, but what when I really noticed a difference was switching the headshell from plastic technics to the ortofon, going to the bronze cartridge, and proper positioning of the cartridge in the headshell. Also clean your LPs get all the dust and debris out.