Ethernet Switch- what's the point?

I run an Ethernet cable between my router (standard issue from Verizon) and my streaming transport. I note that some use an ethernet switch between between the router and streamer. Assuming I got that right, what is the point- what does a good switch do? I've been into audio since the 70's but when its comes to streaming, I'm definitely a newbie- 

Thanks all!

128x128zavato

Hi @oldears - In my case due to the 50' run I'm more concerned with surge issues than noise.  The longer the Ethernet cable the more noise/chance of an EM induced surge pulse.  I put the isolator right before my home theater switch.

If I had more money I'd put one right before the streamer as well.

I do also run iFi power supplies for my streamer and DAC.

The switch in every system we have tried really makes an improvement in clarity, noise floor, etc.  Silent Angel makes an inexpensive one that works very well.

It is not one you have to go back and forth to hear the improvement either.

A good Ethernet switch such as the SW8 is the best I have compared 

For it has low noise power regulation , a Ocxo over controlled clock ⏰ 

and Linear power supplies with lots of capacitor filtering  a night and day better setup ,and  BTW the piece of crap you have wall wart for your router  I changed to a 12v Linear power supply  with decent power cord, and upgraded fuse sonically 

much cleaner sound ,now with the SW8 Ethernet switch with a for example pangea power cord a nice boost in fidelity clean power counts , removing the weak links 

in the chain. IHave 40 years in Audio ,ain’t much I have not experimented with 

my brother spent over $3k on his innuous Ethernet switch and it’s muchbetter sound then mine. If you have a expensive setup the innuos is a must hear,

for myself for the moment for $595 the SW8 Ethernet switch has pretty decent reviews ,I made it much better still with the Pangea sig mk2 power cord ,

land synergistic purple fuse , yes an additional $350 but a solid increase in imaging 

and realism little money for a noticeable improvement , start with the SW8 Ethernet switch ,the good oven clock takes at least 8-10 days to fully settle in.