Ethernet Cables - what are you using and why?

Curious about what everyone is doing for their streaming systems in terms of Ethernet cables. I know some people who swear by expensive models, but anecdotally it seems that folks care a lot less about Ethernet than they do about interconnects, AC, or even USB cables. 

I'm a believer but at the moment run a relatively affordable model that I might be looking to upgrade. Let's hear your thoughts.

tubeguy80

Much as I hate to get in the middle of a dreaded cable debate, I figured this one might be safe enough.  

First off I do hear musically significant differences between different Ethernet cables.  Second, as is typically the case with Hi-Fi, cost has no relation to performance.  Third, I also hear a difference in the direction of the cable so it is best to try both ways when listening.  Fourth, also as with other cables there seems to be a length that is the most musical, although longer cables can be used where necessary with not much loss in performance in this case.

As to the cables, Fredrik Lejonklou, whose equipment I import from Sweden and distribute in the USA and Canada, and I have found the most musical cables so far to be Blue Jeans Cable (BJC) CAT 6a in an 8.5 foot length.  These have musically outperformed other much more expensive cables I have tried from Audioquest and others and everything Fredrik has tried.  Many customers, dealers and forum members have tried the same cables and are similarly happy.  They are quite inexpensive and I highly recommend trying them.  You can just order them from their website and receive them with quick delivery.  

They make them in multiple colors.  Since some will already consider me crazy I might as well add that I have not found any sound difference between similar cables of different colors, but I have found that each cable sounds a little different.  So I tested four at Axpona last year with Fredrik and a friend.  We found two white cables to sound musically different and a purple one to be the best closely followed by a black one, both better than the best of the two whites.  I recently ordered another batch of various colors but haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.  After all why should it be easy?

I use Belden 10GX CAT6A cables for my Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra and for my  router to my modem. They work very nicely for me. I jumped down the networking cable rabbit hole about a 5-7 years ago. I came up with these that can be purchase on eBay. Belden makes them in numerous predetermined length too. You can purchase them for like $9-30 with s/h each depending on the length. I’ll put a link here for you fellows. Cheers!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166065872948

This is a no-brainer.  Blue Jeans cable is the cable to buy.  If you read their website you will discover that BJC has tested Ethernet cables from other manufacturers and has found that very few cables make their spec. Cat 6 cables might be cat 4 or 5!  And so on.  BJC includes a test record of how your cable tested.  You will know you are getting what you are paying for.  

Others mentioned BJC. They are good. Cables are where Amazon’s return policy is helpful. I ended up keeping a .75m AQ Cinnamon. This seems a fledgling market with new products launching every month. When asking what “Ethernet cable people use” it’s important to mention length. In 2 years I’ll check out what’s new and audition the marketplace again. The cinnamon had the best bang for buck. I tried a couple shorter 18” SOTA cables and liked the sound of the AQ more. The BJC was very good. All the standard ones I tried sound harsh and brittle even through the midrange. Voice not as refined with all timbres perfect. It’s all going to depend on what the streamer is and what the modem or network switch is. How these components react to the cables you bring to the party is what will make this fun. Pick some great music and listen. I just did this all with the understanding that in a couple years this will be a different marketplace. Right now, I’ve got a very competent connector. 

For what it’s worth the AQ Cinnamon has been out for a decade. I use them . 50% of my Blue Jeans were DOA but that experience is old…. like me