Do you trust your ears more than measurements?

I have a lot of audiophiles that say the ear test is the best. I believe them. Some of us have to do blind tests etc. I’m in the camp of trusting your own ears because no matter how something measures. Is it more pleasing to you with a particular cable, placement tweak etc. What are your thoughts everyone? 

calvinj

"We don’t listen to square waves on purpose, but that is one measurement from the old days that is still a valid predictor of sonic performance."

Ahhh, but we do! Can you show me even one analog synthesizer that doesn’t include a square wave pattern in its oscillators?

My room sounded decent when first built but measured like this:

After treating the room is produces this now. SOund better?

Too many bad recordings out there to just trust your ears.

Case in point.  So many recordings have a "grunge" (maybe digital?) to them due to whatever somewhere along the process of getting the original session to the final CD.  Better recordings don't exhibit this, but I find it to be somewhat common, maybe especially among earlier CDs.  Additionally, it is frequency dependant and my L200/300s barely exhibit it at all..., but also miss so much else in this frequency area.

I designed my own speakers in and for the room in which they are used and have been tweaking them (e.g., changes to the crossovers) for years.  I found with the right part selection, I could get rid of the grunge and most things just sounded better without it.

BUT!!! I found that it's removal had artifacts.  For example, the Hohner Clavinet through the wa-wa pedal lost some of its characteristic "jaw harp" sound.  Ultimately, I figure that the grunge is there and any truely high fidelity system is going to exhibit it in the microdetail.