Do You Buy Speakers Without Hearing Them?

In the 'good old days' there were a lot of hifi stores around so there was plenty of opportunity to go in and listen to various brands and models of speakers.  With the continuing disappearance of audio shops, I'm wondering if more people are making the leap to buy speakers they've never heard in person, or just limiting their purchase options to the brands they can hear locally?  If you are buying a speaker that you haven't heard, how do you get comfortable with that?  Magazine reviews?  YouTube demos?  

I've mostly heard any speaker I ended up buying, but in two cases I bought speakers that weren't available in my area.  I made my decision based on reviews.  In one case the speaker was really nice, but in the second case, the speaker was well-reviewed but ended up being disappointing.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Ag insider logo xs@2xazkeith

Crutchfield and others offer returns my guess have to pay shipping .I do buy a lot of opene box that people must not have liked.other dealers offer same thing wish Mac did that more for people like me in small area.the music room did that but must have had a taken advantage of because now charge 10% return.

Not never.... but rarely.  If I'm familiar with the brand and they are utility speakers, then yes.  My current surround speakers for instance.  I wouldn't do this for main L and R.

Depends.

I buy used gear and use reviews e.g here, YouTube (Thomas, Jay, audio excellence in Canada), etc and if they all say the same thing, and you know what you like you can have good results.

I just bought Gresham Studio II (50lb bookshelf) speakers which will arrive this week. 

I've never bought without hearing, but I have bought without listening.  I buy almost exclusively used speakers.  I will always make sure all the drivers work and there are no defects, but I have found there is not much point in focused listening until I get them home.  

That is of course after research and being interested in a specific set.  Then I probably know I'll like them enough to give them a real try at home.

I have purchased several KEF speakers without auditioning and never been disappointed. Risky maybe, but I’m a diehard KEF addict and unfortunately there are no good audio dealers anywhere near Albuquerque!