Do No Harm ... well the least harm anyway

I want to insert a high pass filter between my preamp and amp (both Benchmark) so I can limit the frequencies going to my full range speakers (Ref 3A Nefes II) to over 100Hz with a 24 db/oct. slope. The 3 possible ways are passive, active, or digitally (A to D then D to A where this is done through software). I am seeking opinions on which method would be the least intrusive to the original signal (ie. best sounding). Thanks for any replies.

koestner

@immathewj

Yes, I run the subs to the high level inputs off a speaker output from an amp.  In my case, I reverse the polarity at the sub input, but some subs off it via a switch.  

My filter is 80hz, 24db slope. I can quickly bypass it by just joining the two XLR connectors and turn off the sub. I've done the comparison several times and find the imaging and balance improved with the filter and sub. And of course I can turn off the sub and the mains still sound great, if thin. So I'm comfortable that the filter does no harm.

Integrating the sub required adjusting the frequency and slope of the LPF and adjusting the phase of the sub. I played with PEQ but ended up not using it. If you are using an external amp, I would suggest some kind of DSP as well.

Hello koestner!  DBX makes a 2 way stereo/3 way mono electronic crossover (DBX223, be sure get the model with the kind of connectors/in & out plugs you prefer) and is transparent and reasonably priced. I use then in two of my 5 systems. They are a tweaker's delight, 24 db/octave and let you fiddle to your heart's delight. I agree that keeping the very low bass out of your main speakers is a good idea. I'm using Magnepan LRS and LRS+ in the systems with the DBX Xovers. My other systems use miniDSP electronic crossovers. Give each driver it's own amp. These days, good amps are not expensive. Happy listening.

Bomer:

I had the DBX Venue 360 in the system, but found it to be annoying having to run it through my computer. It was supposed to run on an iPad also, but they never fixed the problem that arose when Apple changed their OS a while back. I also did not like the additional A-D and D-A that had to be incorporated. I have been considering the Mini DSP Studio, or the Marchand passive crossover, but after a bunch or reading it seems this whole idea is a can of worms that I would probably have wished I never opened.

Hello, It looks like your subs have a 100 hertz high pass filter. Just run your line to the input on the DD15’s and then out to your amp. You might have to look at a manual but there is a 90 or 100 crossover switch on the back. You can at least use this to see if you like the sound or if it degrades the sound in any way.