Diving into balanced

Hi everyone. I’m making the jump to separates and as such am thinking that balanced is the way to go (unless people here say otherwise). If my preamp sits exactly 12" above my amp would you suggest a .5m balanced cable or longer? It seems like it should work fine but i’m not familiar enough with the ends to be sure.

Looking to hear from everyone’s experiences. Thanks!

128x128mtbiker29
  • I personally have decided to go with balanced interconnections are minimal distances. 
  • My system (Moon) is designed for balanced interconnections are this results in a 6db gain for the signal.

I have decided to use shortest distance. It saved costs on my cables.
​​The additional consideration for me is I don’t want built in optionality for my ‘next upgrade’ to my system. I want to enjoy now versus pine for the future. (I know myself and have gone through 3 sets of preamps, amps and DACs and 2 sets of speakers over the last 5 years. 

Your mileage may vary, enjoy the music!

@mtbiker29

There's a fair bit of misinformation here. Since we've been doing balanced lines longer than anyone else, perhaps I might set the record straight:

1) the advantages of balanced lines have nothing to do with length whether 6 inches or 60 feet.

2) there is a balanced line standard called AES48. If the equipment does not support the standard, you may hear differences between cables; this is why balanced vs RCA is a debate, which really shouldn't happen. But most 'high end audio' equipment does not support the standard hence debates...

3) In a well designed balanced system there isn't extra circuitry- in fact you may have less stages of gain than single-ended. For example our balanced preamps have only 4 stages of gain (despite passive equalization in the phono) between the LOMC input and the main output.

4) balanced, if properly done is better than RCA connections and if you get to hear that difference there's no going back. Balanced lines ushered in the golden age of high fidelity in the 1950s. Prior to that everything was single-ended requiring the recording equipment to be right beside the musicians.

5) phono cartridges are balanced sources. Since balanced line gives you more neutral connections, this is a big incentive since if there's anywhere in the system that the cables have to get it right, its between the tonearm and phono preamp input. No matter how good the system is it can't make up for colorations that RCA cables inevitably cause. 

I have a totally differentially balanced system from phono cartridge through amp.   It is quiet even with volume turned high.

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I am currently set up with my new gear in a temporary fashion.  Long term I will need longer cables for my (yet to be upgraded) streamer.  At that time I'll add balanced to both the pre amp and streamer I would imagine.  

Come to think of it I don't love that as I know you should only change one item at a time. So maybe do the balanced preamp cables (1M or more 🤣) well before the streamer arrives.  

So far so good on this upgrade though....thanks again!