Dac: Old vs New

I have older DAC's that sound good but I've had them for several years. Benchmark DAC 1 and PS Audio Digital Link III with Mods. Would a newer DAC from, Topping (DX-5), Schiit (Modi Multibit 2)or SMSL, be a SIGNIFICANT improvement in sound? Seems like the newer DAC's have way more resolution and transparency. I prefer those attributes in gear over warmth. 

tonyjack

Showing 1 response by jimmyblues1959

I'm using a Schiit Modius AKM 4493 chipped dac and it sounds great..  It cost $179.99 from Schiit B stock.  I've been using it for two years. It has micro USB, coaxial, optical, and AES inputs, and both SE and balanced outputs.  I also use an IFi Zen Dac Signature version one (USB input only - retail $249.99) which also has SE and balanced outputs. IMHO, it's another great sounding dac for the money.  I also use a vintage (2008) Audio By Van Alstine Insight multibit dac with a Schiit EITR USB to S/PDIF converter and it sounds quite good with my Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet. I paid about $300 used (retail was $900 about $1200 in current U.S. dollars.)

For some reason,  the AVA Insight dac will only work with the EITR with a micro USB HD 10 Amazon Fire.  The Insight will not work with any of the USB-C Amazon Fire dacs that I use.