Conrad Johnson Sonographe sa400 or McCormack DNA-1

I'm looking for a new amp. I currently have an Adcom 5500 and was wondering if a Conrad Johnson Sonographe sa400 or McCormack DNA-1 would be an improvement in sound. If so, which amp is superior?

Preamp - Anthem 2lse tube
Speakers - JBL 150a (8ohm, dip to 5 ohm)
Cable - Kimber
chad329
Ended up getting some Monarchy 160 SE monoblocks, which is a tube hybrid of 160 watts and doubles that into 4 ohm. I found a deal I just couldn't resist. They have 95 amps of current which is close to the DNA so I should be in good shape for power.
+1 to the McCormack and also to Soix's comment on the 0.5 vs the 1 and getting one w the SmC upgrades. You will get great service from one of the really stand-up guys in the business when you deal w Steve McCormack.
Having owned both, I would strongly suggest that you get a DNA-1. I agree with Soix, Steve's upgrades take a very good amp and turn it into a great unit. You will want to take a little care with preamp matching.
I can't speak for the SA400 but I had an SA120 and it sounded terrible to me (as Wig stated). The amp sounded completely un-natural. Years later I owned a McCormack DNA 0.5 and thought it was a great amp - there was no comparing the two. I don't know how the larger Sonograph would compare to the larger McCormack, however.
If you go the McCormack route I'd highly recommend getting a unit that has Steve's A revisions already built in. You won't pay all that much more (relatively speaking) and they're entirely different amplifiers. Personally I'd take a DNA 0.5 Rev. A over a stock DNA 1 if cost becomes an issue and it has enough power (DNA 0.5 runs more like a 125W amp than it's stated 100W, not that that's a huge difference). No idea about the CJ amp. Best of luck.
If I were buying one I would get the McCarmack as I think it is a considerably newer design; I was a Sonography dealer but that was a long time ago and I can't remember what the sa400 sounded like if I ever had one. Adcom is/was a marketing company and their products varied considerably. I think the 555 was made by three different companies for them for example and they sounded different according to who had made them. The DNA-1 is made here and McCormack is still around; CJ is also but since they are not making SS amps any more they may not have as many parts lying around. YMMV.
I bought the sonograph amp and pre back in 1995/6 to run with my ML Aerius and they were terrible sounding to me, very dark and heavy. Sent them back for Classe CA100 and a CL PV12 which was a fabulous combo.