Connectivity Issue with McIntosh C2800 and MX121 – No Sound in Front Channels

Hello Audiogon community,

I recently purchased a McIntosh C2800 pre-amplifier to integrate into my home theater system and enhance my music listening experience. The preamp is currently connected via XLR cables to a McIntosh MC252 amplifier (which I plan to replace soon). My front speakers are Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III, paired with two SVS 4000 subwoofers.

The audio/video processor is a McIntosh MX121, and a separate McIntosh multi-channel amplifier handles the movie audio. I followed the connection instructions from the manuals. Two XLR cables run from the FL and FR outputs of the MX121 to the Balanced 3 input on the C2800 preamp. Additionally, a 3.5mm stereo cable goes from the Pass Thru on the C2800 to the MX121.

Despite checking the connections multiple times, I cannot get sound to pass through to the front channels when turning on the MX121

Any ideas or suggestions on what might be causing this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

128x128vinylnostalgic

I think it is a 3.5mm  Mono plug.    I set my Dad's MA8950 up with an AVR and I'm pretty sure it was a Mono plug.   That is almost always the case with triggers 

Give McIntosh a  call to confirm.  They were really helpful the last time I called them.  

When you turn the MX 121 it's trigger should putthe preamp into Pass-through.  No other functions work, it will say "Passthrough", the input is now unity gain   and the surround  processor will control volume 

@oddiofyl 

"I think it is a 3.5mm  Mono plug."

I thought the same thing, but this the description of the McIntosh trigger cable they sell on their own website.

• Termination Connector
    Gold Plated 3.5mm Stereo Male

Thank you for the responses so far. I wanted to provide an update and further clarify my issue. I have both amplifiers connected with 3.5mm stereo cables, and they are working well together. However, there is still no sound coming from the front channels when using the MX121.

I live outside the United States and have been unable to create an account on McIntosh’s website to reach out for support. I’m not sure if they accept international calls, so I haven’t been able to contact them directly.

Any further suggestions on how to resolve this issue or how to best get in touch with McIntosh support from abroad would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for your help!

... Any further suggestions on how to resolve this issue ...

Ask your local dealer. Most Mac dealers are very helpful.

The C2800 has to be set up for pass through in the menu system.  See page 11 in the owners manual.

Update:  an McIntosh technician, recommended using a different power control for the main amplifier  ( MC 252)  so I changed that to trigger one. 

When I turned on the Mx-121  nothing happened, but after 5 minutes the MC2800 turned on in passthrough mode and it turned on the  MC252 ( as it is supposed to be )  but a few minutes later it shut down.   I do not get it.

I will let you know if this can be overcome. 

Update:  an McIntosh technician, recommended using a different power control for the main amplifier  ( MC 252)  so I changed that to trigger one. 

When I turned on the Mx-121  nothing happened, but after 5 minutes the MC2800 turned on in passthrough mode and it turned on the  MC252 ( as it is supposed to be )  but a few minutes later it shut down.   I do not get it.

I will let you know if this can be overcome.