Connection Options for ARC LS-7 to D240 Mk.II

Hello all!

I need some advice.  I have an Audio Research LS-7 line-stage and a D240 Mk.II amplifier.  The LS-7 is single-ended output only, while the amp has both balanced and single-ended.  My question is, is there any benefit to using a RCA-to-XLR cable to perform the connection versus RCA-to-RCA?  I know that the RCA-to-XLR isn't a "true" balanced cable, but wondering if there were any other benefits to using the XLR inputs of the amp versus its RCA inputs.

Thanks for any feedback!

Arvin
128x128arvincastro
Could it could go either way. On the one hand extra hardware and conversions might have a negative effect. On the other hand you’ll get the benefits of balanced along the cable.
unsound
... On the other hand you’ll get the benefits of balanced along the cable.
His preamp has only a single-ended output so no, he won't get the benefit of a balanced connection no matter what type of connector or cable he uses.
Hello, all!

So, no advantage in using the XLR connection versus RCA when both are still unbalanced cables.  

Kinda' figured this, but still nice to hear confirmation from some fellow audiophiles...Thanks!

Arvin
So, no advantage in using the XLR connection versus RCA ....
To further confirm this, as can be seen in the schematic on page 12 (pdf page 14) of the manual for the D240 MkII the center pin of the "normal" RCA input connector for each channel is wired directly to the non-inverted signal pin (pin 2) of the XLR connector for the corresponding channel, and the "inverted" RCA input connector is wired directly to the inverted signal pin (pin 3) of the XLR connector. So you would be using the same input circuitry in the amp, and in the same manner, regardless of whether you used an RCA-to-RCA cable or an RCA-to-XLR cable. Also, although it may not be important, with an RCA-to-XLR cable you would lose the ability to readily change between normal and inverted polarity.

BTW, when (and only when) using RCA-to-RCA cables be sure to follow the instructions in the manual about inserting shorting plugs into the unused RCA connectors. (Or, alternatively, connect a jumper between XLR pin 1 and either XLR pin 2 or XLR pin 3 depending on which of those pins is wired to the RCA connector that is NOT being used). Noise performance is likely to suffer if that is not done.

Regards,
-- Al

@almarg  -  

Al, thanks as always for your technical, but easy to understand, commentary.  I was wondering if there was any advantage to the circuitry between the two input sections that gained me some kind of advantage; your explanation clearly shows not.  FWIW, I tried to read thru the user manual of my amp, but can't read a schematic, so thanks for that info as well!

I did start off using the RCA inputs (and using plugs on the Invert connections), but went to the balanced input route due to scoring an incredible deal on some very high-quality RCA-to-XLR interconnects.  As you can imagine, they're not the most popular cable type, so good deals can be had.

At any rate...Thanks again for your detailed and very helpful postings!

Arvin