Class A or AB amp for JBL S4700 speakers

Which should I go for and why? Brands I'm looking at are Accuphase, Pass Labs, and maybe McIntosh.
dave_72
I haven't made an announcement yet, Audiolabyrinth. You'll know pretty soon. There will be an article about the whole day up on our website.
I life in the Netherlands and Pass labs uses 220/240v in europe. You cannot buy an US amp. It would be nice and a lot cheaper. But Pass labs covers the distributers in europe.
Dave_72, which model Pass Labs are going to listen To?, will you share your feed back to me?
Actually, I will be getting a demo of a Pass Labs amp for our audio club meetings. Since I am the President of the club, it'll be at my place and in my system! heh eh.
thankyou Bo, do you ever sale any of the pass labs amps here on audiogon?, My buddy Dave_72 likly would give one a spinn?
Hi Bo1972, what do you do with your past Pass labs amps?, do you sale them?, keep one or two?, do you have more than one system Bo?
Hee Dave, I bought a Pass Labs X350.5. I will receive it next week. I think I will buy a .8 series in 2015. I could get a very good deal, so I will keep this for some time. I will let you know about the outcome.
seems you may be tring to end this thread dave?, your speakers will jump with solid state world class audio!
Dave, FWIW, your speaker is fairly easy to drive with tube amplifiers. You might consider that- generally speaking, the extra smoothness offered by tubes will be helpful when driving that midrange horn at higher volume levels.
Simple answer Dave. Your brands are all fab!. Buy 10 or 12 times the power you think you will need for regular listening. Your headroom is then just satisfactory and, with some great power conditioning on your source and amp chain, you will rock. Enjoy.
No problem, Bvdiman, you know what the good stuff is just as much as anyone else. I value your opinions, especially about Accuphase. Anyway, I'll chat with you more on that *other* board we're on!
Dave, sorry to make a train wreck out of your thread--my first time ever! ;p
Just thought you actually knew more than them smartasses and deserve better than all these BS advises--making out imaginary sound from reading/hazy past experiences without the need to actually listen/compare themselves. So sad.
Hey Baffyman you are the F.idiot. People who give silly
answers on this thread I remember them that they use shit in
their own systems. That they should not been taken that
serious.

With your slissssstech cables you life in your fantasy audio
world!
Ok I get it..
Bo1972, you are owner of Inferior Audio in Neitherlands. ;)
Brands you carry : Monitor Audio, Audioquest, Purist Audio, and what for electronics??
I really do feel sorry for those manufacturers that you happen to represent. If they don't switch you out quick, they are doomed for sure.
What da' hell has Siltech got to do with this thread..??
Boy oh girl such animosity.. :)) They must've kicked you begging for dealership? hah!

You are sick. Take your meds and go back to your FANTASYLAND.
Audio needs to be used as simple as possible. The best and
most convincing sound always will win. This is how I use it.

I hate inferior audio. The best way of getting ride of it is
to smash and beat these inferior products. Slissstech is a
brand I want out of the world of audio. In the Netherlands
many people think the same.

I have proven in many tests that they are inferior. This has
nothing to do with personal taste. They loose because they are
not good enough. And that is what it makes it simple!

When you visit people with the cables you sell you often see
that they have more different brands. To make it more easy you
explain all the different parts you judge a cable for. This
way you make clear why a cable is better.
I suspect you are suffering from Down syndrome?--Can't even pronounce/spell right.
Don't get all too psyched up---bad for health! LoLÂ…

F. beginners usually brag like mr.knows-it-all, where in fact, they have a long lonngggg way of catching up to doÂ… As they say ~ "Ignorance is Bliss".

Now, quit your imaginary "Superiority Complex" already.
In my country were Slisssstech is comming from we say that
Slissstech owners are F idiots. I think it is even worse; you
must be a F. mongol to buy them. In the past I crushed them all
the time. It is always nice to beat inferior audio.

I think they only survive cause of sales in foreign countries.
You don't find it a lot anymore in the Netherlands. And there is
a reason why!!

10-20-14: Bo1972
F. idiots you find all around the world. In audio there are a lot as well. So who cares!

*Not lots. Only two here talking to one other, getting along very well - naturally. ;)
Bo1972, that's cool, I was agreeing with you with your post, thankyou, cheers Bo.
Bo1972, you understand I was not talking about you!, rather the dis-respectable idiots that said the dumb f post above!
F. idiots you find all around the world. In audio there are a lot as well. So who cares!
Thankyou Bo1972, that was my whole idea, does not matter if i listened to the product, I was only saying that the unit has good feed back from everywhere, just a bassis to try one out, nothing more, to dis-credit me for saying anything was dis-repectable!
Audio always will be a personal matter. But every single person is free to give his own opinion. And yes a review is a personal opinion. That is why comparing in audio is so much fun. It is always nice to find tools which are better than the ones you use. Many of us give people here on Audiogon options to audition. Nothing more, nothing less. I believe this is a good thing!!
I suppose pro reviews, absolute sound, stereophile, and many other publications and audiogon member feed back of any High-end means nothing!,and everything ever opinionated here on audiogon means nothing, really?, what I have said certainly has the bassis to audition the TrL dude pre-amp,cheers.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I can only go by my findings and listening tests. And the top contenders to me are; Accuphase, Pass Labs, Luxman, and McIntosh.
Interesting.. there seem to be gifted ones here who can literally hear sound from what they read. A 'talent' to behold indeed. ;)

*Yes, if heard/compared - providing some detail of the event/s would help the OP rather than making out some coy blanket statements.
10-19-14: Audiolabyrinth
Dave_72, The Tube Research labatories pre-amp is one of the very BEST tube pre-amps for sound quality today!, made in the U.S.A.!, hand built, I said big bang for the dollar going against $20,000.00 pre-amps, ask anyone about one of these pre-amps, nothing but great feed back.
OK, I'll ask you since you're offering advice, what $20,000 pre have you compared the Dude too?
Dave_72, The Tube Research labatories pre-amp is one of the very BEST tube pre-amps for sound quality today!, made in the U.S.A.!, hand built, I said big bang for the dollar going against $20,000.00 pre-amps, ask anyone about one of these pre-amps, nothing but great feed back.
Yeah I agree onkyo makes great CD players like the five disc changers.
THE END!
Ok, thanks, but I really want the features, and I can go beyond bang for the buck stuff (not cost no object though,) no problem.
Hi Dave, The TRL Dude pre-amp is a very big bang for the dollar if you value performance over features, the member grannyring has one and knows everything there is to know about this unit, I believe he may have tweaked his out as well to satiesfaction, cheers.
Ok, which tube preamp that has all of the features do you recommend. I know McIntosh solid state *and* tube do. Accuphase and Luxman solid state do too.
I agree with Bo1972, A tube pre-amp is what I have always preferred myself with solid state, Dave, The only pre-amp in the world I know of that has treble and bass controls is Dan D Agostino's momentum solid state pre-amp, that my friend is beyound our bucket list, although the Dan D Agostino equipment is way beyound the pass-labs and krell with performance, A whole different league! It also comes with, what I call stupid money for pricing!, If I had the money, The Dan D Agostino master systems amplifiers is what I would have period, cheers.
the 100.8 or 100.5 is enough for your speakers. I would go for a tube pre-amp in your situation.
Ok, well .8 or .5? And which model? 100, 160? Also, I don't like Pass Labs preamps. Not enough features on there for me like bass, treble, sub. filter, mono switch, etc. Is there are preamp out there that has this stuff that would go good with the Pass Labs amps?
Luxman also lacks depth. Audiolabyrinth is right about the XA series. With a high sensitivity I also would go for the XA series.
Ok, thanks. I'm gonna hear Pass Labs (as well as Accuphase and more)again at CES. Yeah, I really wanna try Class A amps. I'm already driving them with an A/B amp, a Bryston 4B, and the Bryston is a pretty solid A/B amp. However, it's lacking in dynamics and transparency, as well as imaging. It plays real loud and has lots of bass, but that's about it. I don't expect it to be as good as Accuphase, Luxman, Pass Labs, etc.