Class A or AB amp for JBL S4700 speakers

Which should I go for and why? Brands I'm looking at are Accuphase, Pass Labs, and maybe McIntosh.
dave_72

Showing 40 responses by dave_72

Ok Bo, that's fine. What would you recommend then? I know you like Pass Labs. Is there any other brand?
I haven't made an announcement yet, Audiolabyrinth. You'll know pretty soon. There will be an article about the whole day up on our website.
Thanks, Peter, that doesn't look too bad.

MinorI: Exactly right on everything you wrote. But, more often than not the units you want to try aren't even in their stores! A lot of this stuff, the really good and expensive stuff, is special order these days.
That sounds reasonable. Tough to do though. Dealers aren't really willing to let me do home auditions, and I'm not dragging the speakers over there. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
They're too restrained sounding with these speakers. As well as too lean, dry, and bare-bones. These speakers are very revealing.
Wadia: The speakers came with spikes. I have a concrete floor, and they are floor standing speakers at 44 inches high with the spikes. The tweeter and the mid is *not* below my ear. I don't need stands, ok? And if you still think I do, you come here and put these 240 lb (for both) speakers on them!

Also, about Emotiva, it is my opinion. And I am entitled to it. Nothing more, nothing less.

My Onkyo sounds great, others such as the members of the audio club I run (Las Vegas Audio Club) feel the same way.

THE END!
Hi Bo, no not at the moment. I can go to CES and compare amps, but this in different rooms and different speakers of course...better than nothing though. Anyway, I'm leaning heavily towards Accuphase at the moment...
Ok, thanks. I'm gonna hear Pass Labs (as well as Accuphase and more)again at CES. Yeah, I really wanna try Class A amps. I'm already driving them with an A/B amp, a Bryston 4B, and the Bryston is a pretty solid A/B amp. However, it's lacking in dynamics and transparency, as well as imaging. It plays real loud and has lots of bass, but that's about it. I don't expect it to be as good as Accuphase, Luxman, Pass Labs, etc.
Ok, well .8 or .5? And which model? 100, 160? Also, I don't like Pass Labs preamps. Not enough features on there for me like bass, treble, sub. filter, mono switch, etc. Is there are preamp out there that has this stuff that would go good with the Pass Labs amps?
Ok, which tube preamp that has all of the features do you recommend. I know McIntosh solid state *and* tube do. Accuphase and Luxman solid state do too.
Ok, thanks, but I really want the features, and I can go beyond bang for the buck stuff (not cost no object though,) no problem.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I can only go by my findings and listening tests. And the top contenders to me are; Accuphase, Pass Labs, Luxman, and McIntosh.
No problem, Bvdiman, you know what the good stuff is just as much as anyone else. I value your opinions, especially about Accuphase. Anyway, I'll chat with you more on that *other* board we're on!
Actually, I will be getting a demo of a Pass Labs amp for our audio club meetings. Since I am the President of the club, it'll be at my place and in my system! heh eh.
Well Bo, that's cool, but we're not talking about speaker cables at this time...
Hi Kevin, allow me to explain; we (the audio club) will be evaluating the Pass Labs amp on its own merits. It's not gonna be a Pass Labs vs. Bryston shoot out. We could do that, but I agree with you, it's kind of pointless.

Yes, I realized this once I got the speakers. This is why I'll be upgrading early next year. To exactly what, I dunno. However, the brands I'm considering are Pass Labs, Luxman, Accuphase, and McIntosh; leaning heavily towards Accuphase at the moment.

I hope this clears things up!
Ok, thanks. I don't think we'll do a shoot out though...we wanna evaluate the amp on its own merits. We might if we have time to do so. :)
Bo, I ask you kindly to stop derailing this thread. I see that your irritated, but take that up with Nvp, please. This is not the proper place for tirades...
This is not the place for either of you to be fighting. Please refrain from doing so regardless if he "made the mistake" or not. Take that up with Nvp personally. This thread is not about you, Bo. It's about the right amp for my JBL speakers.
It was good. Stay tuned for the article that's going up on our blog/website. There will be reviews by myself and the others, plus some pics. Thanks!
Yes indeed. They are the S4700s!

I am not pictured in any of the photos in that post.
I do now. Meaning, that they took a while to break in. Imo, they don't sound that good out of the box. They sound a bit dark, muddy, and closed-in.

The differences are the type of drivers used, the horn geometry, and the shape of the cabinets. As far as the differences in sound, I think these sound better than the Array 1400s, although quite a few would disagree with me on that. Also, these have better bass than the K2s. But the highs and mids of the K2 beat these. And of course the Everest beats all of them. I haven't heard the S3900, so I can't say. Some like them more than the S4700s, though.
No problem. It's the result of many hours of research and talking to people that know their stuff. Plus, auditioning the damn things more than once. Which I recommend that anyone does, including you. That's cool that your speakers are working for you.

Now, as far as the looks are concerned. A little bit, but not too much. The K2 has a curved cabinet and different tweeter and midrange horns.
BTW Dave72, What amp did you ever get?

Nothing yet. You will know when I update my 'Systems' page here.