Change from PS Audio S300 Stereo Power Amp to PS Audio M700 Mono Amps

I have had the S300 Stereo Amp for about two years driving Vandersteen Treo floor standing speakers and have been very happy with the overall sound quality and never disappointed but have had the itch for a change so recently picked up PS Audio's M700 Mono Amps.

After about thirty minutes of listening on the M700's at a moderate level of about 60 dB I start to feel pressure in my ears. Over the past three days stopping and starting at different times of the day I get the same ear pressure after a short time listening. To note everything else in the system is exactly the same and the new amps are in the same position as the old amp. I am going to give the new amps more time but am thinking that the M700's are possibly not a good match for the Treo's where the S300 was a very good match.

Does anyone have a similar experience trying a new amplifier or have suggestions as to why this may be happening?

128x128relayer101

I'll assume more pressure means the lower frequencies. Perhaps you are hearing more bass with maybe less "control" over the woofers? I own a PS DAC and they have been very helpful when I had questions, give them a call, they might have some ideas why. They'll help you even if you brought them used. Hope this is a least a bit helpful. 

@deadhead1000 

Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking the M700's may be driving the bottom end of the Treo's to a lower level than the S300 and lower than I am used to. 

The M700's do sound great as did the S300 so I am hoping the issue will pass.

I will reach out to the folks at PS Audio tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. Definitely helpful.

I had the M700s for a while, and while I liked them, they didn't fill my large room. I did not find the bass pronounced

One thing I was aware of, and you kind of hinted at it, do not stack them. Try separating them as much as your interconnects allow, even if just to experiment before moving on

hth

@tweak1 

You are correct. I do have them stacked and separated by IsoAcoustics pods as noted on another thread. My set up unfortunately doesn't allow me to separate them but I can do that temporarily just to see if stacking them is the cause of the issue I'm having. Thanks.