Cable Break In for the Naysayers

I still cannot believe that in this stage of Audio history there are still many who claim cable break in is imagined. They even go so far as claim it is our ears that break in to the new sound. Providing many studies in the way of scientific testing. Sigh...

I noticed such a recent discussion on the What’s Best Forum. So here is my response.

______________________________________________________________________________________________ I just experienced cable break in again firsthand. 10 Days ago, I bought a new set of the AudioQuest Thunderbird XLR 2M interconnects.

First impression, they sounded good, but then after about 30 hours of usage the music started sounding very closed in and with limited high frequencies. This continued until about 130 hours of music play time.

Then at this time, the cables started to open up and began to sound better and better each passing hour. I knew at the beginning they would come around because they sounded ok at first until the break in process started. But now they have way surpassed that original sound.

Now the soundstage has become huge with fantastic frequency extensions. Very pleased with the results. Scientifically I guess we can’t prove cable break in is real, but with good equipment, good ears, it is clearly a real event.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

I had a new power cable put into my system this week. It sounded immeditately better, but also had introduced what seemed like a phase issue for the first 2 days of 4-5 hour listening sessions. On day 3 listening session it settled into what it's supposed to sound like.

How there is even a question about cable break-in is beyond me. I have to presume either their room/ listening environment is less than ok, no enough resolution in the gear/system/ system not setup properly, or ears aren't up to par. It's real. No tin hats or flat earth BS here. 

Sorry Jaygilb but there is no way my ears made good with what was coming out of my speaker cables when I first used them. There were times when the signal was so garbled was completely unlistenable. To each his own.

I’m kind of concerned about @jasonbourne52 anyone seen him around lately? Shouldn’t he be here complaining?    : )

Oh, did you not hear - he found that cable break-in is true and have started comparing different cables. Lets wait to hear from him about his findings.

I guess everyone has an opinion on this subject and I would like to hear it. For those of you who believe all cables are the same, please can you describe the sound quality you have experienced before or after the scientific measurements; do they agree with the sound quality?

Have you ever tried other cables? Did any of them sound different?

And most important, share with us the type of audio equipment you are using, including cables, amps, speakers etc.

ozzy